Fuji is commited to film

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by fdisilvestro, Jan 19, 2006.

1. fdisilvestro

fdisilvestro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Press release from Fuji after Konica Minolta withdrawal from photo business

http://home.fujifilm.com/news/n060119_2.html

"Silver halide photography, which is fundamental to photography, has advantages over digital in such areas as power of expression, long term storage capability, reasonable prices, easy handling and a highly established and convenient photo development and print infrastructure.

We intend to continue our silver halide photography business and to further cultivate the culture of photography, and in so doing, continue to support our customers and retailers and all those who enjoy photography."​

Long live Fuji

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is terrific news.

3. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Long live Fuji and Acros!

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news! I hope you don't mind but I just posted this over on the RFF. They have a lot of pessimists over there and they need cheering up! :wink:

5. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fuji definitly has alot going for them. The frontier puts them smack in the middle of the digital world and all the frontier consumables are traditional.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They certainly make some fine color films and papers and have a hand in some instant films in case Polaroid gets into more trouble.

Any one try their premium B&W paper? It's available in Japan and through Megaperls, but I don't know about anywhere else.

7. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Its Likely Fuji are in for the duration, its because its the film most people use, so they can still lots in a declining market, its like Ilford in B&W.

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And, since from some reports I have read, their digital products are not doing very well, they have nowhere else to go right now anyway.

Said tongue in cheek with a bit of truth to garnish it with.

Now all they have to do is get some good professional motion picture products out there. Hollywood does not seem to like their offerings very much.

I wish Kodak could act like Fuji in this regard. A full truth here! Makes EK look really bad.

PE

9. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The thing that matters is that you have faith in what you are doing and communicate that to your customers, so they can have faith in you. Internet age marketing 101.

10. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think I can live with that!:smile:
    Stay with us FUJI, film is the REAL thing!:smile:

Cheers

André

11. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmm. Fuji's DSLR cameras are based upon the soon to be discontinued Nikon N80.

12. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Juba, I agree even being an ex Kodaker. I think Mr. Perez made both a strategic and a tactical error by making that statement. Even if it were totally true (which I discount) it should never ever have been uttered, particularly by the CEO of Kodak.

Terrible disease that. Hoof in mouth disease, I mean.

PE

13. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend has just brought back for me, from Japan, a few boxes of 4x5 Acros (20 ind. sheets per box) @ only $22.00 CDN or $18.00 u.s. per box! That's cheaper than what I have to pay for Efke. What a deal, for such a beautiful film.

That's great news to hear of Fuji's committment,...for the moment.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. chiller

chiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Why the backhanded "for the moment" comment.

No wonder we have diminishing resources with attitudes like that. If we as photographer continue to buy their products and the profit is there for them we should have product. None of us has a crystal ball but come on this company has a transparency film desired by most serious professionals and a range of Black and White materials that is the equal of any on the market.

16. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Long live Fuji and ACROS!!!!!!! Best B/W film on the market todate IMO.

Greg

17. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Terribly sorry if you're offended by my "backhanded"comment. It's probably my utter lack of keyboard savvy, or failure to include a plethora of smilies that's likely contributing to the diminishing sense of community, brotherhood, sisterhood, and overall wellbeing of so many others. I beg pardon. Oh,...the error of my ways.

Photography is about the only thing that I see in black and white.

18. mgphoto

mgphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind that still photography for Fuji along with EK is just a part of thier conventional silver halide based business. Motion picture film, medical and scientific imaging, etc. will keep the two big boys producing film for us still shooters for quite some time.

-Mark

19. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is great news, but perhaps it would further strengthen Fuji's resolve if they got some positive feedback on this release...?

If someone can dig up an (appropriate) email address I'd like to propose that every APUG member sends a message of thanks and support to Fuji. At least it would show that there is an active customer base out there that is listening and welcomes their decision.

What do you think?

20. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    <<< This is great news, but perhaps it would further strengthen Fuji's resolve if they got some positive feedback on this release...?

If someone can dig up an (appropriate) email address I'd like to propose that every APUG member sends a message of thanks and support to Fuji. At least it would show that there is an active customer base out there that is listening and welcomes their decision.

What do you think? >>>

That`s a good idea, I will support that!!

21. chiller

chiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent positive stuff.

22. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  23. simulatordan

simulatordan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here!, Here ! Bravo Fuji, Bravo Ilford. great films, paper, and chemicals. I'm in for the duration too. I work as a software engineer and the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a PC outside work. Film works for me.

daniel

24. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    FUJI Announcement

I think the announcement from FUJI was a very positive one for the whole industry, especially following the news from KONICA MINOLTA. I know a few people had a go at me regarding my comments about AGFA, in that I was sad to see them fail, I was, and still am, although the chemicals seem to have been saved. Certainly this shows that where a demand exists it will continue to be satisfied, this shows FUJI are committed , we certainly are and FUJI and ILFORD Photo are not alone ....

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have sent an email to Fuji U.K. , but its only two months ago that Kodak announced on their U.S.A website their commitment to film, what is to say Fuji won't do the same in a few months ? and cease film manufacture.

26. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Where can I get 8x10 Acros?