Fuji Neopan 400 (135) running out ...

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by urbatschek, Aug 8, 2011.

1. urbatschek

urbatschek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... due to a well-known german mail-order company near Hamburg, production of the Neopan 400 in 135 format was ceased by Fuji. Sad, another classic film down the drain ...

Mirko

2. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It ceased some time ago and there is not much left. What did the German mail-order company have to do with the end of this film?

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have difficulty keeping up with the discontinuation of films but I had thought that Fuji had discontinued Fuji Neopan 400 in 120 only. If Fuji 400 is now discontinued in 135 does this leave only Acros in both 120 and 135 with no other non chromogenic B&W in the Fuji range?

pentaxuser

4. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Neopan 400 appears to be still available in 35mm, at least according to the Fujifilm UK website. And 7dayshop.com (UK) also has it in stock, with no indication of any discontinuance.

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is exactly my findings, railwayman3 so maybe Tom Stanworth could give us his source of info on its discontinuation in 135?

It is a pity that neither Kodak or Fuji seems to want to keep contact with film users via APUG and give us the up-to-date position

pentaxuser

6. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My mistake entirely. I misread. To my knowledge its the 120 only thats gone.

7. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought 40 rolls of the short date Arista Legacy Pro 400 35mm for my photography class earlier this summer, Freestyle says their stock is limited, so there might be some truth to a scaling back of production from fuji. I like this film very much as well.

8. Zathras

Zathras Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe, hopefully, it's only the Legacy Pro films that are affected. I went to Freestyle's site and noticed that the Legacy Pro films are listed as "Short Date Specials" but the Neopan 400 seems to be plentiful. I hope that Fuji hasn't discontinued Neopan 400 in 35mm. I really like the film, and hope Neopan 400 doesn't go away anytime soon.

9. urbatschek

urbatschek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If anyone wants to contact Fuji UK about this, here's the direct email: gdacosta [at] fuji.co.uk

I'd do it myself but I've pestered them so many times over discontinuation scares that they're rather sick of me.

11. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just saw that Fotoimpex don't even list the film anymore. I'd be sooo disappointed if this discontinuation is global and real.

I've googled and browsed but have been unable to find any press release by Fujifilm on this issue.

12. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For what it's worth, I combed over the Fuji Japan site yesterday looking for news about Neopan 400. They still list it as current. The only film related announcements they've made recently were about discontinuing all APS films and Eterna 400, a motion stock.

Not saying that they are or are not making Neopan 400 still. Just that it doesn't yet appear on Fuji Japan's site yet.

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I did this last night but without the benefit of the name you have given. No response as of close of business today.

If it is true and I very much doubt it then this leaves only Acros 100 as its trad B&W film. If it goes that far then Fuji might as well discontinue all its trad film.

The signal it would send to all users would ensure that it lost its customers to either Kodak or Ilford.

pentaxuser

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any news?

16. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I find it difficult to understand why Fuji (and perhaps to some extent, Kodak) seem unable or uninterested in providing any information or support to analog users.

OK, they may see film as an unprofitable line with no long-term future, but both companies supply a variety of other products (and not just photo equipment, digital or otherwise). If we see a lack of interest in the analog user, why should we trust these companies when we buy these other things in the future....there are plenty of keen competitors ready to supply everything else which they make!

17. Europan

Europan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The black-and-white films Fuji used to sell and sells are manufactured by Oriental Photo Corp. anyway.

18. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am clearly not sure that Oriental has coating facilities ...

19. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Assuming this question is addressed to me, Steve, the answer is no response and after this kind of interval I don't expect to get any. I even mentioned that a statement had been made to the effect of N 400 being discontinued on a major photo site called APUG and that this wasn't in Fuji's interest but it has made no difference.

Must help Ilford sleep well at nights when it realises it is competing against amateurs:D

pentaxuser

20. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure about this?

21. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the statement about Oriental this is false. Fuji makes Fujifilm.

22. LudditeJay

LudditeJay Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would really suck. I have been shooting nothing but Legacy Pro 400 lately and I really like the film. I was about to order another 100ft roll but that is no longer listed on Freestyle's website. They still have the 20 roll packs listed but at a substantial increase in price compared to the 100ft roll they were selling.

I am reluctant to order now if availability is not going to be there in the very near future. I did email Freestyle about their Legacy Pro 400 film and am waiting for a response.

23. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was quick then. I got 3 cans about a month ago. I got mine in the "hot deals!" section. I guess I got lucky.

24. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hot deals = close out?

25. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I emailed several weeks back and the cans were indeed in short supply then but a good amount of retail rolled was available.

Michael,
    hot deals is a spot to look for short date and other close out items but they are not specified as close out

26. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to like this stuff a lot, but after shooting a couple rolls of Arista Premium, I've moved on. The Arista Premium is very nice film, fresher dated, and more likely to be available in the future. No point in getting attached; there's always TMY if I need finer grain.