Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Ricardo Miranda, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sucks, I just bought a Bronica GS-1 with a 220 back; now I can't use it :D

I never really liked 24-exposure cartridges. I've shot enough of them because they were more easily found, but always preferred 36 - and I just take snapshots.

It's good I can still get Velvia 50 and Pro 400H, and I've always wanted to try Neopan.
    Seeing some things discontinued is sad, but I prefer to see the camera half-full.

(Okay, I know someone will take my Bronica comment seriously. Don't. I am quite capable of sawing the gears in half :whistling:)

4. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nor do I! :smile:

5. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, at least Kodak is still making 220 film. Either that or stock up now on Fuji 220. And prices on remaining films are going up 25%. But at least I can still get Acros in 8x10! Provia and Velvia 8x10 are also going to be produced, but B&H is out of Provia, and they aren't even listing Velvia.

I didn't know that Fuji referred to 120/220 as "Brownie." Bronica and Mamiya in Brownie size...

6. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder why they don't consider Neopan 400 a Pro film. I kind of like the new packaging!

7. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like it too, and the loss of 24 exposure films is probably going to affect nobody. I've never seen pro film in 24 exposure rolls in the UK ever. In the USA, I bought some Kodak BW400CN in 24 exp though.

8. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's not just Fuji - that's common usage in Japan.

FWIW, the usual story about the origin of the brand name "Bronica" has it as a contraction of "Zenzaburo's Brownie Camera", with Zenzaburo being Zenzaburo Yoshino, founder of the company. IIRC the reflex cameras, at least, were all labeled "Zenza Bronica", which would be consistent with the story.

9. LunoLuno

LunoLuno Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    IMHO, Fiji consider the Neopan 400 as one of their Pro flims, and the same goes to their Provia 400X. I think in this Fuji's latest anouncement there is some important well hidden message that we shouldn't miss. Why aren't they renewing the packaging design for Presto400 and Provia400X??? I think that's because they are going to discontinue these two lines in the near future, presumably by summer this year, and hence they don't need new package designs for them.....

I think there is a blight side in this announcement, though. Are they renewing the packaging design of films that they are going to discontinue very soon? I don't think so.....

Luno

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I wasn't even aware they sold 220 at all, I wish I could get Provia100f in 220... The issues with 220 is its MORE expensive than 120, or seems to be, if it were a cost savings for buying 220 (even $1 less) I think it would sell more.

Also wonder, can Ilford buy their 220 machines? :smile: Simon? Lol

But seriously, I have only seen 220 Portra at B&H :/

Could have used that 220 fuji Provia100f in the grand canyon...

11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I also thought that Velvia 50 in 4x5 was discontinued, I read an announcement... Weird..

12. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never ever seen a pro level Fuji film come in 24 exposures. Is it an endemic format to the Japanese market?

A modernisation of old and tired box design is always welcome, and this was mentioned in a Retailer Briefing note in September 2012; this announcement merely confirms the plan.
    A number of films in formats were discontinued from November 2012; what's left appears to be subject to a proposed 25% price rise (!).

13. jgwetworth

jgwetworth Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree I didn't know any pro level films came in 24 exp rolls.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I read it right, I'm sad to see 5x7 color transparency sheet film discontinued. I don't even use it but it must have had a small but devoted following.

-Tim

16. mark

mark Member

Feelin stupid here. On what products are the prices going up 25% in April?

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    All...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

18. LunoLuno

LunoLuno Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All the products that they are going to renew the package design. So, the Provia400X and the Neopan400 are not included.

19. mark

mark Member

Bummers

20. alarickc

alarickc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So is Velvia 50 in 4x5 back??????

21. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  23. LunoLuno

LunoLuno Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You'd better not forget that the latest official announcement from Fuji was issued for the Japanese domestic market exclusively; Velvia 50 4X5 has never been discontinued here yet, so far at least. And I think it should also be reminded that the article in the BJP was just an "excerpt" from the interview with the rep of the Fuji's UK department rather than an "official anouncement" released from Fujifilm itself. It is highly likely that "stop importing some range of films to the UK" could have been misinterpreted as "discontinuation of the product".

Luno

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  24. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Good point... We shall see I suppose :smile:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

25. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks very bad for Provia 400X. Very very bad.

26. David Nardi

David Nardi Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Think positive, maybe they like the box design of Provia 400X and decided not to change it as it's already a departure from the current box designs. I use Provia 400X, 100F and Velvia 50 in all assorted sizes regularly.

I'm surprised to hear that Fuji Velvia 50 4x5 and 8x10 is still out there to be taken advantage of despite the discontinuation announcement last summer which had everyone freaked out. BTW, I just bought 3 boxes of Velvia 50 8x10 from Adorama Camera for $219.99 a box. Exp is April 2014. I know it's the old box design but looks like they still have more for anyone else interested.

I will continue to hunt down and use all these great films regardless of where they need to be purchased from. It may get pricier but at least my photography will improve by being more selective. It's just like when I shoot LF vs smaller formats. I walk away with more prized keepers at the end of the day with LF.

I can't see a world without film, can you? That's why I will bicker less about cost and just buy what I can, when I can, to keep Fuji and even Kodak (I use some colour neg) doing what they've done best all these years.