Fuji NHG II 800?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Dr.Pain-MD, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got three rolls of this film in 120 size a few days ago and have no idea what it's like. Has anyone ever shot this film? Surprisingly enough there isn't much info about it on the web. It seems that it was the precursor to Fuji's [now sadly discontinued] NPZ 800. When was this film discontinued? I want to get an idea of what its expiry date could be since I got them unpackaged. Thanks!

2. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any big differences between the two films?

4. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From memory I think Fuji claimed better grain from NPZ (800Z) compared to NHG, same channel printing with NPH (400H) too, I think.

5. justjoephoto

justjoephoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Funny, I just got 2 rolls of this film myself and had the same questions. Thanks! I can't wait to try it out.

6. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The original NHG was a 400 speed portrait film, and one of the best portrait films I have ever used. I was upset when they discontinued it. NPH 400, the replacement for NHG 400, was contrastier and I didn't like the color as much. I don't think I ever tried NHGII. I switched to Kodak Portra after NHG 400 was discontinued.

7. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought quite a bit of it awhile back and have used it here and there. I actually like it but I usually shoot it at ISO 400 instead of 800 because it is expired. However, I keep it frozen until I'm ready to use it so it continues to work out fairly well. Here is an early morning shot taken on some expired Fuji NHG II 800 this past winter out on the Great Salt Lake.

[​IMG]