Fuji NPS 160T and night exposures

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by TheFlyingCamera, Mar 12, 2014.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was recently gifted a few pro-packs of Fuji NPS 160T tungsten-balanced color negative film. I recall seeing that tungsten films were considered excellent choices for night photography because the tungsten films had much less reciprocity issues. Does anyone recall if these films need to be filtered, and what filtration to apply to color balance them, and what would be the reciprocity calculation for the Fuji 160T?

2. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    google Fuji 160 datasheet

my phone wont allow an embedded link sorry

3. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    color

I seem to remember that in the "old days" tungsten film was balanced for artificial light but with the newer lighting types (fluorescent, etc.) they are out of whack. Maybe they have improved "tungsten," I do not know. I knew an industrial photographer who used a kind of light meter that read the temperature of the light he was utilizing. I think he are pricey.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Modern "daylight" balanced emulsions (read Kodak Ektar 100, Portra 160) are excellent for handling long exposures and mixed lighting. They're so good in fact that you don't need a color temperature meter to figure out filtration unless you're planning to shoot something where color accuracy is critical. I have some hotlights I can use this film with in the studio, so I know I can always use it for that. I was just recalling that some folks used to shoot tungsten-balanced slide film for long exposures at night, and was wondering if anyone here remembered doing that. If so, what filters if any did they use, and what kind of reciprocity does the film have?

5. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    +1/3 of a stop at 4 seconds..,

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In towns outdoors at night the lighting is so diverse Scott, Sodium, Tungsten, incandescent, Fluorescent if your'e using Tungsten balanced film I would just shoot without any filtration because whatever filters you use the colour balance can't be correct for all the light sources.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014