Fuji Packfilm

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by Ektagraphic, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello-
    I was wondering if any of you guys know if Fuji ever made pack film cameras to fit films like their FP-100. Were the FP-100 designed with only Polaroid in mind?
    Patrick

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am only aware of the instax cameras, which use a similar instant film.

3. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There were pack-film cameras made in Japan, such as one made by Konica. In addition, pack-film backs were made for most Japanese medium-format cameras. Also, passport cameras have used pack-film for many years, regardless of who manufactured them. So Fuji had a Japanese market for pack-film.

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Those Konicas are diffrent looking....Most of the ones I saw had Polaroid backs on the (I did a google and ebbay search)...I find that funny....I did see some that said Fuji on them instead of Konica....

5. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Patrick;

While I do not have a direct answer to your question, I can tell you that Fujifilm did make a 4 by 5 format film holder to fit their instant film pack. I recall seeing them at one of our larger camera stores out here in Latte Land for about $ 160.

In recognition of the heritage of the Fuji Instant Film, you will hear people out here referring to it as "Fujiroid."

6. DRabbit

DRabbit Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    If my memory serves me here, I think it was called the FP-1 (the one Fuji made). It's VERY hard to find. Occassionally you'll see a photo taken with one over at Polanoid.net.

7. KerryMcClain

KerryMcClain Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    DRabbit is correct. The Fuji cam is the FP-1, and it's a fantastic camera. They are few & far between, as I believe they were never officially imported into the US. My FP-1 came from Tokyo via eBay. They pop up there from time to time, as does the Konica Instant Press (which is also a fantastic cam).

Here's a bit of interesting info:

http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=773.0

-k
    www.kerrymcclain.com

8. vdonovan

vdonovan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Damn! Here I thought I had my GAS under control. Must...have....FP...1....

9. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sadly:sad:, I just ordered my first packs of Fuji Film. I wonder how I will like them compaired to Polaroid....

10. kompressor

kompressor Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use polaroid on my crown grapich. But can i use Fuji 4x5" packfilm in the Polaholder?

11. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you like good quality photographs with remotely natural colour rendition, you'll like the considerably better than Polaroid's!

12. KerryMcClain

KerryMcClain Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    To use the Fuji 4x5 pack films (such as FP-100B45, FP-100C45, etc), you'll need a 4x5 packfilm holder like the Polaroid 550 or Fuji PA-45. The 545/545i/545pro only work with sheet films. I've used a Fuji PA-45 on my Super Graphic & it works just fine.

Also - you can use the Polaroid 405 or Fuji PA-145 holders on 4x5 cameras...they use the 600 series packfilms (like Pola. 665, 667, 690, Fuji FP-100C, etc.)

-k
    www.kerrymcclain.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  13. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love Polaroid for its colors. The 690 was just right for me. I also shot the occasional 669. Polaroid made some amazing black and white material too!

14. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The color on Fujiroids is very nice. Don't underexpose though. You might leave your camera set at ASA 80.

15. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All three of my Land Camera's only have 75 and 3000 speed settings.

16. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got my hands on some of the FP-100C and FP-100B and I have shot some of the FP-100B. I must admit that I am happy with the results from the green boxes...much better than I thought Fuji could ever do. It has it's place. I still love the Polaroid films, and if they were both still available I would still use primarily Polaroid but I still would use the occasional Fuji. I wonder how I will like the color. Has anyone used the FP-3000B. I never used the Polaroid version. I would love to have a 3000 speed film to be able to shoot indoors since there is really know good way to have a flash with these older cameras. I wrote to Fuji to see if there was going to ever be a chance of them producing a packfilm camera. I would love to have one with a modern flash options. I really love the Polaroid, but some of them are starting to get too old for some people(not me :smile:)

17. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the only downside is that the paper is sort of lightweight compaired to the Polaroid.

18. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Both Fuji and Konica-Minolta produced pack-film cameras aimed at the news gathering market. While not current cameras, I believe they were both "new" enough to have modern flash capabilities.

19. jasonhall

jasonhall Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used the 3200 ASA film a lot before even trying the 100ASA. I really like it and I am perfectly happy with it. While you can see it not as sharp as the 100, it rather good at the 3x4 size. After useing a fair amount of both, I buy more of the 3200. Great film.

As far as camera, I got a Polaroid 195 because I wanted the higher quality lens and full manual control from f3.5 to f45 and a shutter (forget make and to lazy to go look) from Bulb to 1/500. I put a Zeiss range finder and back from a 250. The Zeiss finder is much better than the Polaroid and the back on the 250 does not have the built in timer makeing it much more sleek and clean lines.

Jason

20. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Ektagraphic, if you go to www.flashbulbs.com they have an option for using an electronic flash on Polaroid cameras that adapts into the flash bar slot. I know they have it working well for the SX-70, it might be worth a look to see if it will work on your cameras too.

21. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The packfilm cameras won't accept that.

22. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, if you're willing to sacrifice a Polaroid flashbulb unit for one of its plug ends, there is a way to make a standard modern flashgun work with the Land Cameras (at least according to some people - I haven't tried this myself yet) - see here (scroll down - pics included (not mine)).

23. jasonhall

jasonhall Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My father in-law riged his Polaroid 350 to use with studio stobes years ago(mid to late 80s I think). I can try to take a look at his rig if you like and get pics. I know he would be happy to let me see for a few photos.

Jason

24. vdonovan

vdonovan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oh yeah!

25. jasonhall

jasonhall Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok, may take me a few days to get it. I maybe able to get tomorrow...we will see. I will put a link here, but I will start a new thread with it to help folks find it more easily in the future.

Jason