Fuji Rangefiners...GW670, GW690, etc...need photos please

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Aug 8, 2010.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I keep reading about how big the fuji rangefinders are. Can somebody please post a few quickie photos showing the size of a Fuji rangefinder compared to some common 35mm SLR?

TIA.

2. DamenS

DamenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a photo of the older version of these cameras (which are the same size as the new ones ... though all metal and much heavier) compared to a Leica M3 (which is the same size as a small SLR like the Olympus OM series) ...

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/g690bl.html

3. DamenS

DamenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Fuji GW690III I could take photos of alongside a Nikon D40x, Crown Pacemaker or Konica AF if the link above does not suffice ... PS. YES these cameras are HUGE - I was actually a bit surprised when I received mine off ebay, but they do handle well.

4. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you Damen. That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I see why everybody says it is so surprisingly BIG! I like your summary comparing the features of the two early models too.

I'd love to see the GW690iii next to a 4x5 Crown Graphic (That's one next to my head in my avatar at left).

Brad.

5. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a photo of me holding my GW670 II taken by Whitey Morange. I do not have large hands, but the fuji handles quite nicely.

Attached Files:

6. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Gene. It looks pretty manageable. I'm kinda vacillating...wondering if it will be enough less to carry, compared to the Crown Graphic, to warrant buying one.

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would guess that they are much more manageable to carry than a Crown.

8. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't think Brad, just buy one!

9. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are great things. I recently bought a 680 here on Apug to replace the 690 that I killed a couple of years ago, and really missed. I carry it on a sunsniper strap, along with my Tecknica V, which is on the tripod. I guess the Tecknica is about the same size as your Crown.
    Although the Fuji is around the same size it is much lighter and easy to use as a "snapshooter". The quality of the Fuji lenses is also terrific, makes a great backup.

10. DamenS

DamenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Brad,

The Fuji is a lot lighter and faster to operate (goes without saying I guess !) than the Crown - especially if you use the Fuji without a tripod (which is something I would never try with a Crown) ... here is a quickie photo of the two together so you can gauge the size difference ...

[​IMG]

11. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had a 670. It was a very nice camera, very sharp lens with lots of contrast. I sold it years ago to help fund a Plaubel Makita 67. The Makita is a folder so it's smaller to carry, but...I think, no, I know, that the Fuji is a more robust camera. I also shoot a 4x5 Crown and other bigger L/F's. I always have a 6x7 rangefinder with me just because they are so damn fast to shoot. It's the perfect camera for airline travel trips that has near 4x5 quality, without the worry of TSA ripping open film holders and boxes.

BTW the 680 might be the best size if you like printing 11x14. The nine negatives fit the file holders. The 10 negs from a 6x7 are a pain. I really wish the the new Fuji folder was a 6x8. I also wish it was around $1200. In any case, the Texas Leica will take a beating that the folders will not. Buy one, be happy.

12. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Own 2, GW & GSW, and I'm still looking for more cheap ones. I got mine in Japan. We have a small flood of them so I take the time to find the best condition ones for the best price.
    Nothing like a 6x9 slide...especially when it comes from a camera that you can fit into your bag with your 35mm.

13. Lflex

Lflex Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  14. Erik Petersson

Erik Petersson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much do these usually cost? I have been wanting one for quite a while.

15. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here in Japan they swing hard. I can get them really cheap or really expensive.
    The wide, GSW, goes for more then the GW.
    400-900 USD for the GSW690III
    300-800 USD for the GW690III

Again, this is here in Japan and this place by far doesn't have the greatest deals.
    I got both of mine for about 800 USD.

16. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. Erik Petersson

Erik Petersson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks!