Fuji Sensia R.I.P

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Steve Roberts, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Further to my post yesyerday in which I bemoaned the poor processing standards of Sensia in Fuji's 'official' UK lab, I was speaking to the proprietor of a local photographic shop about an hour ago and he mentioned a rumour regarding Fuji's long-term (or otherwise) commitment to film production. I did a quick internet search and came up with this: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1727476/fuji-sensia-rip
    Another one bites the dust!
    Steve

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fiji's professional range slide films are a lot better than Sensia IMO and although Ektar is excellent film you can't project it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad. I thought it was an excellent film for the price. I always wished that they made it in medium format. R.I.P.

4. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    2F/2F - I'd say it was fine film regardless of the price. Interesting though that they chop what is perceived as the 'consumer' slide film rather than one of the 'professional' films in their range. I'd have thought that Sensia would be the last in the range to go rather than the first but clearly sales figures say otherwise.

benjiboy - I've seen Ektar raved about as a replacement for or alternative to slide film on many occasions. As you say, this seems to be oblivious to fact that you can't project Ektar (well, you can, but the novelty would soon wear thin!) and so perhaps there are a higher number of people than I'd have thought who like to shoot film and then scan it.

Steve

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How did you find the Fuji professional films better?

Tom

6. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't forget that they've already, quite recently, chopped Astia and 64T slide films (and, I believe, some of the color neg films.). And the loss of Sensia is, effectively, three further different films gone.

Wasn't Sensia the only Fuji slide film available "process-paid", which I assume was mainly for consumer rather than Pro users. Perhaps the writing is also on-the-wall for the Leeds lab?

(With Kodachrome and Sensia gone, this seems to just about the end of the long tradition of slide films sold with processing included? Boots Colour Slide seems the only one now hanging on....and that is, SFAIK, a Sensia 200 clone?)

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is Astia really gone? I hadn't heard that one!

8. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fuji UK stopped importing it into the the UK some months ago, though I believe that it is still manufactured and isavailable in some others countries in Europe, and, I'd guess, the US.
    Sorry if I panicked you unnecessarily!

(If Sensia is no longer economic to make, I wonder if Fuji are still producing some of the weird-and-wonderful films which they sell in other countries....Fortia, Natura, etc.?)

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Couldn't you have just said that instead of simply calling it "chopped," especially when listing it alongside T64, which truly has been discontinued in manufacture? This is how bad information about film discontinuations gets around the Internet.

11. Grainy

Grainy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's sad. I thought Sensia was one of the volume sellers. I do not use slide film, but it's always sad when someone stop making a film.

12. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    pretty sure fortia is gone too.

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really liked Sensia. I mostly used the 400 and sometimes the 100; never the 200. Hopefully we still have Elite Chrome when we need a good-enough, cheap slide film.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last sentence sums it up "a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens."

16. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apart from price, do you see any other advantages in Fuji Sensia or Kodak Elitechrome?

Tom

17. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Astia is gone too, as rumored, which I would believe because Fuji doesn't mention it as a replacement for Sensia, even though being the closest replacement -

Then this means that Fuji no more has any normal-to-low contrast slide film with a bit warmish, realistic but not subdued colors. This, on the other hand, may be good for Kodak. I've been a fan of Sensia 100 - I've called it "neg-like slide" because of it's all-around contrast - as any other Fuji product cannot do this anymore (if Astia is gone), what about Kodak E100G?

18. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I'm planning to start Ilfochrome printing the lack of a low contrast slide film is not ideal.

Tom

19. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely. It's the only Fuji film that delivers nice, normal contrast and colors suitable for most scenes without any "special effect" look. I especially don't like the "digital" look provided by some chrome films, which comes mostly from blown-up highlights.

Velvia 50 gives exaggerated colors, especially skin tones. I like it, but it's not all-arounder by any means.
    Velvia 100 and Velvia 100F are useless in most situations unless you shoot grey wall and want contrast and colors in it.
    Provia 100F gives you blown-out highlights very easily. Very interesting and nice look in most situations but not all.
    Provia 400X gives over-saturated, magentaish results. OK for some compositions.
    Astia 100F is/was the only Fuji Professional film that is meant for photographing people, or mentioned as a low-to-normal contrast film.

Sensia was the "consumer" version of the previous version of Astia, IIRC. It has the same qualities. It's also the only film I can say that almost every shot was good. With 35mm, and when travelling, I usually have no time or interest to have several camera bodies with different films for different scenes. Or, when I have, the first one is for neg and another one for chromes. And, then I have to use an all-around chrome film, like Sensia 100. Velvia 50 would be my second choice. I find that all the other Fujichromes blow up highlights too easily.

But, now I finally have a reason to try Kodak slide films!

20. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are a bigger bang for the buck than the pro films, by far. Two-thirds the price, but better than two-thirds as good, therefore a better value. They are more than good enough in quality for anyone doing general-purpose photography (as good as the pro films, IMHO); it is just that they are not available in all formats.

When it comes to 35mm color pix, I really don't mess around with pro films that often. I don't see much of a point. Amateur films are excellent now (those few that remain, at any rate), and 35mm is not about image quality for me, so it is not something I bother to chase after much if using the format.

21. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I could, and should have said that......and I have already corrected my original statement and said "sorry". I am also sorry that I am not perfect. :wink:

(Although it always amazes me that people actually rely on ANY information published on the Internet without checking.....)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  22. lilserenity

lilserenity Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try out Kodak Elite Chrome 100 (not the extra colour version) -- I have always liked it more than Sensia 100 (although Sensia 100 was a decent film.) It's also about 2/3rds the price of E100G.

To my mind, Elite Chrome 100, Elite Chrome 100 Extra Colour and Elite Chrome 200 are some of the best E6 materials on the market at a reasonable cost.

23. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I find Elite Chrome 100 to be slightly warmer than E100G, which improves color in the shadows and in overcast light.

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve, I shoot quite a lot of Ektar in both 35mm and 120 , I get them processed at a pro lab and get excellent results with it , I may be old fashioned and don't own a scanner but I firmly believe in shooting prints on neg. film and slides on reversal film, to me correctly exposed slides projected with a good projector have a beauty that neg film or digital can't match.

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because you can choose an emulsion that has a colour saturation, contrast level and colour palate that's most suitable the task in hand .

26. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I've shot Fortia 50 and Fortia 50 SP (even more saturated) a few times in 120 - the saturation boggled the mind. It used to appear in stores around cherry blossom viewing time here in Japan (late March/early April.) This year and last year alas, it didn't show up :sad:

I can't say I'm surprised at Sensia being discontinued (though I'm not happy.) On the contrary I've been amazed that Fuji still makes so many E-6 emulsions: Velvia, Sensia, Astia, Trebi, Provia and T64. Perhaps this latest news is Fujifilm circling the wagons and protecting what emulsions it still makes. That's good news for us.