Fuji Smartshot Plus is a toy camera!

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by firecracker, Jun 7, 2007.

1. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know what I was thinking, but I got one of these from an online action in Japan recently:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-SmartShot-Plus-35mm-Camera/dp/B00004TWMA

It's already discontinued in the Japanese market, and Fuji doesn't even have the info on it any more.

Despite its spec and look as a reloadable lens-camera, it produces a toy-camera type of results. Take a look at the attachment file.

EDIT: It has a 26mm F8 fixed lens (still "Fujinon"!), but it has a pretty shallow depth of field. So, if you like that kind of an effect, this is the one. Fuji Neopan Acros (ASA100), which I used, is pretty handy for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "Focus free" indeed!

3. nicolai

nicolai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whoa, nice, thanks for the heads up!

4. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got this camera (bought new) out of curiousity; it cost me about 880 yen (about 7 USD) because apparently the seller had a bunch of unsold leftover packages that are now outdated, etc. I didn't want something too trendy or too collectable, so the Fuji was the perfect choice.

I should add more details to my previous comment. The pre-focusing of this camera is set probably from 1.5m to 3m (ot 5m at the most). See the new attachment file. The viewfinder is pretty shitty and I can't really frame anything properly, but I think that's perfectly normal. :smile:

I'm sure it's the same as most disposable cameras out there today, but this one, you can reload the film, and also you can keep the batteries out if you don't use flash. Everything is manually operated.

However, if you pick up the current model of this type of a camera called "Clearshot M", you do need to keep the batteries in because of some auto functions (for auto film-advancing or something that I forgot...) that require them. Also, the lens is different (slightly longer) with the faster F stop (F5.6) and the slower shutter speed (1/90), which doesn't sound practical for using 100 ASA films in the summer time.

Anyway, I'm not a toy-camera user, so this is as far and deep as I go. :wink:

EDIT: for both images I only scanned with my Nikon Coolscan V and didn't change the tonal curve, contrast or anything at all in PS, so they tend to look a but too blown out, but that's on purpose.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  6. sfadam

sfadam Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    hmm that looks an awful lot like the pentax pc-330!

which i picked up a month ago but haven't gotten around to using yet!

Attached Files: