Fuji Velvia 100 in 4x5 being discontinued

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Weihan, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Weihan

Weihan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    As reported on the LF website, Badger Graphic in Wisconsin and Samy's Camera in LA have both confirmed that Fuji is discontinuing Velvia 100 in both 4x5 and 8x10. This is VERY unfortunate! This also leaves only a single positive color emulsion out there.

2. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, what is the future of LF slide films now?

I like slides more for landscapes, and i still didn't start with LF, now i think i shouldn't think to start when i will not last longer with LF anyway.

3. Axle

Axle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just read over the the Fuji Website, it still lists Velvia 100 in 4x5 and 8x10 (with the caviet that some formats may not be available in your area).

Fuji Canada still has it in 4x5 and 8x10, so does USA.

Also there is no official press release on Canada, US, or Global.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Don't spread rumors, if you read that entire post it was explained that the sku number changed... It's not discontinued...

5. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any Fujifilm website is an absolute JOKE when it comes to films. Fujifilm Canada still lists ASTIA as a current film!! And 400X, and Neopan 400 (in 120!!), and 160S and 160C, AND REALA 100!!!!

All these films are current according to Fujifilm Canada.

What a joke.

6. Weihan

Weihan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I found the same information as that which you've cited. I also called Fuji USA for a "definitive" answer and was told that Fuji Velvia 100 is still listed for 4x5. HOWEVER, when I then subsequently called Badger Graphic and Samy's to present this "official" version from Fuji, both said they were quoting from their official Fuji distributor out of Chicago and that the listing there said that this would be the LAST delivery of Velvia in 4x5 or 8x10. FWIW, Badger also said that they were not at all surprised by the fact that Fuji was making no official public announcements.

7. Weihan

Weihan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I used to like transparencies more for landscape as well, until I started shooting with Ektar 100, from which you can obtain outstanding high-res drum scans. Ektar is also much better at picking up shadow detail in scenes of high contrast.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  9. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SOP for Fuji. It's always a pure mystery unless it's actually on the shelf to be purchased.

10. Weihan

Weihan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This might be useful:
    https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=612

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As always, please make the distinction between "available in the US/Canadia" and "being made at the factory".
    If Fuji US are to be believed, then all chromes in sheets were discontinued ages ago, almost every "death of velvia" thread I've ever read only quotes US distributors.
    However they are still being made at the factory in Japan with 2015 expiry dates (I know because I've got some direct from Japan, at US$140 for 20 sheets of 4x5 thankyou very much)

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So I took it upon myself to talk to the source.....

Velvia100 is still being produced and is available, badger is wrong...

"Dear Stone,

Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM North America Corporation. Please allow us to assist you.

Velvia 100 is currently in production and available in the following formats

135-36
    135-36 (5 Pack)
    120 (5 Pack)
    4x5 (20 Sheet)
    8x10 (20 Sheet)

We sincerely hope this information has been beneficial to you. If you should have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future. It would be our pleasure to assist you again.

Thank you for your interest in FUJIFILM products and services.

Respectfully,

Damion
    Authorized Customer Care Representative
    Customer Care, Imaging Division
    FUJIFILM North America Corporation
    Email: contactfuji@fujifilm.com"

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds definitive, Stone. You'd think that given the apparent mayhem that stores/distributors can create with announcements allegedly from Fuji which it would seem are wrong, that Fujifilm North American Corporation would decide to make its own announcement here on APUG to stop this kind of thing. It wouldn't be that time consuming and might stop the doom and gloom. In recent months APUG product announcements must rival Orson Wells' 1938 radio programme for generating mass panic :D

It might be different if there were only half a dozen Fuji products users here on APUG based in the U.S. but you are scattered from California to the New York Island. I can't help feeling that there's a song somewhere here!

On a happier note I can state that Orson's Martians are definitely discontinued. Well according to my local distributor they are discontinued so I have bought 100 bricks of them for e-bay while stocks last

pentaxuser

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There is an ongoing discussion on the large-format forum with the same title by the same original poster, on that one badgergraphics has actually came and made a statement regarding their representative on the forum and it was the opposite of my email, so I asked them to give me the contact information and am now in direct contact with the representative to see where the disconnect is. I am now waiting to hear back from him.

17. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    They were in little green boxes?

18. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ok, it's been solved...

Essentially I was right....

The SKU number changed.... And the way they announced this was... "Hey this SKU is discontinued"

Then days later said "this is the new sku"....

Bad Fuji....

Anyway we can all rest assured that just for a little while at least we still have Velvia100

19. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good "leg" work stone.

20. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's just doing due diligence... With the amount if misinformation (and possibly disinformation who knows for sure) it's better to ask as directly as you can to as many official sources as you can.

I contacted Fuji USA by email, Fuji USA and JP by twitter, and the Fuji rep for badger graphics and the ordering rep at B&H Photo.

The only one who said this was discontinued was Badger, and they later came on LFF and retracted their statements, claiming the bad info came from Fuji but not exactly sure where, finger pointing etc. But I'm sure they were just confused by the sku info change...

From the Fuji rep...

Old Mat # New mat #
    Velvia 100 4x5 (20) 16010382 16326157
    Velvia 100 8x10 (20) 16010394 16326169

21. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's right! How did you know? My local stockist's a nice slightly wizened old man called Mekon. He has assistants who are good for heavy work but with limited brain power.

The local trouble-maker, called Dare, is quite rightly banned from Mr Mekon's shop. We all keep an Eagle eye out for Dare and his mates:D

pentaxuser

22. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fuji has been skuing themselves (and us) for quite some time.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    :munch: :smile:

24. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    After they eliminate Dan and Digby the Treens will get you for sure.

25. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder if Fujifilm has even considered going 1 month without discontinuing a film.

26. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If only there were a company with the support and presence of Ilford, but with the colours of RVP...