Fujica GW690 - Space Between Frames

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by seadrive, May 19, 2012.

1. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've owned my GW690 (model I) for a while now, and I really like it. It's not tiny, it's not huge, it feels right in my hands, and the Fujinon 90mm is a great lens.

But I've noticed that the spacing between frames is uneven, varying between 7/16 of an inch and 1/4 of an inch, with the average a little over 5/16. When you're cutting up a strip of negatives, and you're trying to locate the exact middle of a 1/4 inch space...

For those of you who own a camera in this series, is this normal, or is this something I should try to have fixed?

TIA!

2. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My GW690 was overhauled by Fuji Canada in 2007 and had about 40 rolls through it when I bought it. Frame spacing is about what you describe- variable. It seems that being slow and steady with each winding leads to more consistent spacing, but honestly i haven't done serious testing of this. It does seem to be more erratic the faster and more distracted I am when winding.

As long as I don't get overlap, I will avoid another overhaul. I would suggest being more consistent with your winding, and wait for more reasons to get an overhaul?

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  3. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for letting me know it's not just me, Dan.

It's not that big of a deal, but if the space between frames were to get smaller than 1/4 inch, it would be. Guess I'll try to wind the next roll slowly and evenly, and see if it makes any difference.

4. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If it makes you feel better, the one I used did the same thing...until I dropped it down the Grand Canyon. After that, it's been spot on. Go figure?

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just measured a roll that is now drying between the first 7 frames they are at 6/16th inch the last is 1/4th inch.

6. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have that camera but recently got the Fujica GS645 Professional and frame spacing varies from 6.5mm to 8mm.

7. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something tells me that a trip to the Fuji repair shop in New Jersey would cost a lot less, but a trip to the Grand Canyon would be a lot more fun! :smile:

Sounds like the variable spacing issue is pretty prevalent. Guess I'll just learn to live with it, though I've now seen a space as small as 1/8th inch. That's cutting it pretty close! (pun intended)

8. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I read in the past that users of these larger cameras have to really make sure the paper leader is very taught in the back before closing. Take out all the slack by putting pressure on the paper when you first load.

The other variable is that as the film sits it could loosen up in camera.

9. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretty common with lots of roll film cameras. My Fujis do this and they have since new. So has my RZ and most other 120 cameras I've used. With no sprockets I think it's to be expected to some degree. Unless they overlap I wouldn't worry about it.

10. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I bought my 6x9 Fuji rangefinder, here is what the previous owner told me:

“The only tip I have is when you are advancing the film, do it with care, with love. With any medium format camera when you advance the film you are moving a very big piece of film and if you move your thumb smoothly you will get the best image spacing. If you advance it to aggressively you will get overlapping. That camera will occasionally overlap but not enough to ruin any images.”

11. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If my thinking is right, you could add a layer of material to the rollers, leading to each revolution causing more linear film travel? Maybe a layer of tape at the ribbed area on each side?

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Extra layer would work as a stop gap before a cla. I use this method for my super ikonta which was designed with slightly thicker film rolls in mind.

13. TimFox

TimFox Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I see the same effect on a GW690II, GW670III, and GSW690III, but have never seen the gap go down to zero.

14. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My two Fuji cameras (GW670 II & GSW690 III) do the same thing, but never really drastically close. I always attributed it to my being a little paranoid about whether or not I advanced the film and would check by putting a little pressure on the advance lever.

15. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe mine have same issue, will check it later [GSW690III]