Fujica GW690 - Wobbly Shutter Speed Ring

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by seadrive, Jun 6, 2012.

1. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys and gals,

I took my GW690 out of the camera bag after returning from a photo trip, and noticed that the lens didn't feel right.

If I put my fingers on the shutter speed ring and rock it back and forth, it wobbles, so that the tiny space between the shutter speed ring and the aperture ring gets larger and smaller.

I can still change the shutter speeds, and they still seem to be accurate. It's like the front of the lens has come slightly unglued, or unscrewed. It feels like a loose filter that wants to be tightened, but of course there's nothing to turn to tighten it.

Anyone seen something like this with your GW or GWS?

2. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does it rock when you put your hands on the front element and rock it back and forth? I have a Fujinon 125mm SW (big large format wide angle lens) and the front element has a very slight play. Apparently something on the shutter mount cracked.

3. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I place my thumb on the top and my middle finger on the bottom of the shutter speed ring, I can rock it back and forth by pressing down with my thumb, or pulling up with my finger.

4. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had a GF like that. If she was unscrewed, she'd come slightly unglued.:wink:

5. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The front lens group simply unscrews from the lens mount- at least on my GW690, first model (no lens hood). Just to the front of the shutter ring is a thin- 2mm? black ring. If you can get a grip on this, the whole front group unscrews- many many threads, maybe 6mm of distance? Go slow, over soft surface, etc. in case it drops. Try a rubber pad to grip the outer edge of the lens?

Inside are three small screws around the outer edge of a flat flange, going into a brass plate. These screws hold the shutter dial in place, best as I can tell. Well, I am not going to unscrew them just for fun, but the shutter dial is the same piece as what these screws hold. I bet your screws have come loose. A little tightening might solve the dial issue.

6. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try.

7. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see what you did there :laugh:

I've never had that problem with my GW690. If it really bothers you, I'd have it CLA'd.