fujicolor 200 at walmart

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by destroya, Nov 16, 2012.

1. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot some pix for a non-profit event two weeks ago and they gave me a$50 gift card to walmart as a think you. I've only been there a few times always to drop of velvia to get E6 done. They have some fujicolor film there, 200 400 and 800. I thought about using the card to get some cheap neg film to try and do my own c41 development at home. did it months ago with poor results so maybe i'll try again. My question is, is the film any good? when i shoot film i usually shoot velvia ektar or portra. but would be willing to try it out.

so what are the thoughts on the fujicolor 200 film at walmart?

2. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's probably Superia that they have. I keep more Superia 400 stocked than anything else. It's a good all around film. Check the expiration date if you buy it off the shelf (any shelf).

3. RobertoMiglioli

RobertoMiglioli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, in my opinion, every new experience is good but don´t expect the same colors than Velvia or Ektar. It´s a huge diference.

4. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why don't you just use the gift card for your processing fees?

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Superia 200 all the time and find it quite excellent. I too home process, and it's a very easy film to scan.

6. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my opinion, Superia is the worst film in existence at the moment. Total garbage, perfect for shooting tests of crap you don't care about because they'll look like a big steaming pile of it.

7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because they don't give back negatives anymore?

8. jgwetworth

jgwetworth Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I personally find Superia To be a good film, better than the Kodak that kmart sells at least, but as stated before its no ektar.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  9. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Superia used to be good. I preferred it to Gold for a long time. Now, though, I'd shoot Ektar or 400VC first. I was very fond of Ultra Color when it was available, too.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji 200 is a good general film.

Jeff

11. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1 for Fuji Superia, it is more neutral and generic than the Kodak Portra and Ektar series, I use them as good overall films. What I have seen is that scan quality varies widely between labs, so your poor results may have come from that. Expect visible grain from ISO800 emulsions, and a bit less from ISO400.

I personally don't think that Kodak, Fuji or llford sell any crap film these days. I've had my own share of trouble with a few emulsions, but looking through online resources showed me that most likely my poor technique was to blame (wrong choice of subject matter, poor scanning&post processing, ...). Calling any of these films a "steaming pile of ..." tells me more about the photographer than about the emulsion IMHO.

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

What do you mean by "generic"?
    Apt for a wide range of subjects, in contrast to a film that, let's say, would be finetuned to skin tones?

13. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Precisely. Skin tones and granularity may be nicer with Kodak's Portra, but Superia does extremely well with difficult lighting (partially light, partially shade), and I love its reproduction of natural green tones. In my opinion there is no such thing as "a best film", and in today's market there also exists no "bad color film". They all come with different characteristics and color palettes and we should choose them accordingly.

14. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i went and bought a 4 pack of the 200 to try out. costs a whopping $7.50 with tax. So ill give it a try and judge for myself. using the card for development is an idea. I only use them for E-6 as they still send it our to fuji to get done. comes back mounted for $8. cheapest and fastest turnaround of any send out i've found.

15. Aristotle80

Aristotle80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought and shot a box of Fuji 200 color print from Wal-Mart earlier this year. I bought it because I really needed it for an event the next day and didn't have time for shipping from B&H. It's good quality film, but I had Dwayne's process it because I don't want any doubts or second thoughts while I'm waiting to get the results back. You can tell from the colors and grain that it ain't Portra, but on the whole it's pretty good. Compared to Kodak and Fuji offerings of similar type at B&H the Walmart price was roughly twice as expensive. You might want to spend the card on groceries or something else where the prices really do beat the usual alternatives. My local Walmart has some decent beers now.

16. jm94

jm94 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hated superia, but that is just my personal opinion. I prefer Ektar, Superia looked like total poo to my eyes, I also hated the grain! And that was both lab and home processed.

17. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji Superia is a consumer film and will never be as good as any pro film like Portra or Ektar, but it's a fantastic everyday film! Stock up on 200 and 400; skip the 800.

18. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SERIOUSLY?!? I didn't know that...

19. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, even York/Clark gives back the negatives.

20. Noble

Noble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They return 120 and 220 negatives in my experience. They also return E-6 mounted if it is 35mm. 120 and 220 E-6 comes back sleeved in an uncut roll. They charge $0.84 for developing a roll of 220 C-41. Not bad.

21. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the film is fine, walmart isn't.