Fujifilm announces "substantial" (at least double digit) price increase on film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by olwick, Mar 22, 2013.

1. olwick

olwick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At B&H Acros in 120 is already up from $3.20 to $3.89 a roll and 4x5 up to $45.95 a box of 20 to make it likely the most expensive black and white film in 4x5 at $2.29 a sheet. I use it in 120 only, not 4x5 thankfully...

This must have just happened because I saw the old prices about a week ago. Good thing I am stocked up!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  3. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's known that a 25% increase has been on the board for a couple of months now scheduled for roll-out in April. Currently retail for a roll of Velvia 50 is $35.90. It is accepted that this increase will place Velvia well out of the reach of many, many people at $44.80, give or take a few cents. There certainly won't be much take-up of RVP at that rate (not of the 135/36 format at least); three pros I correspond with are now looking at digital beyond Q3: "there is a limit to how much blood can be squeezed from a stone!". I agree. There remains a niggly bit: in December I thought Fuji had plans to discontinue two more E6 films this year, Velvia 100 (separate to the now defunct 'F') and Provia 100F; this was said to me in a pro-level retail outlet while discussing a Fujifilm Retailer Bulletin, though at this time nothing else has been heard, only the discontinuation of a couple of films/formats.

Oh well. I have sufficient stocks of RVP and RDP (bought online at a fraction of the retail cost) to see me out at least 12 months now.

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate to see the price increase, but at least they are cutting back on film.

Jeff

5. flopsie

flopsie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah, i bought a 5 pack of acros at bh yesterday, and the film guy was saying stock up now. honestly though, i don't mind paying more as long as they keep making it.

6. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If raising prices keeps film profitable, then that is a good thing. Price rises are a fact of life in many markets/industries.

7. Paul Green

Paul Green Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love acros but it's already a fair bit more expensive than Tmax here and with the price rise I think it's time to give Kodak a try.

8. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As long as there is competition there's no reason not to increase prices if that's where you and your competition actually make money. The battle over market share is past. The market now is so small that you're left with the diehards who will pay any remotely reasonable price. Seven bucks a roll for film isn't outrageous. Thirty bucks is. I'm out, personally, out of the film buying game. I probably have enough to last several years. By then, it'll be a question of whether I want to pay for new film or just let it RIP.

9. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ill keep stocking up when i find good deals, and most now are expired film on the Bay. but im more worried about chemicals and developing my film.

10. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

35 dollars for a roll of Velvia? That can't be right.

11. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just how expensive country Australia is? I live in Finland -- one of the most expensive EU countries to live in -- and even here 135/36 Velvia 50 roll costs 16,90 €. If we order from Germany, it's 10,25 €. Compared to that $35.90 sounds very odd.

12. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Says the American. Why do you think we buy from B&H/Freestyle/Macodirect/etc ?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seriously dude, you gotta find another shop:
    http://www.photographicwholesalers.com.au/accessories/consumer-film/35mm-film here in Adelaide are expensive for lenses, but provia100F 5pk for $25 (they do sell velvia but not listed on website).
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_...732.m570.l1313&_nkw=velvia&_sacat=0&_from=R40 via ebay in Sydney, 5pk of velvia100F 120 for $40, most expensive is 5pk of Velvia50 135-36 for $60.
    http://www.blackandwhitephoto.com.au/online-photos-posters-canvas-prints/buy-films where i get my developing done, $13.45 for one roll of Velvia50 135-36. I was talking to the owner late last year, he said that he used to buy from Fuji Australia, they charged him more than that *per roll wholesale*, something like $16. So now he imports straight from Japan or I don't know where, but now he pays about $6-10 wholesale (i'm guessing) and sells it for $14.

That Vanbar place obviously are still buying from Fuji Australia. Ditch em.

(still, i'm going to stock up on a few rolls while I've got the freezer space.)

16. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Silly American question, then...

If you guys can skirt the (forced, for whatever reason...) high prices by purchasing direct from Freestyle, B&H, or MacoDirect, then why can't the Austrailian retail outlets do the same? Seems to me that would be a quick way for them to beat the competition on price—and apparently by a lot—and also create lots of new, happy customers.

Are there laws prohibiting such sideways grey-market importing?

Or would the wholesale distributors come after them with pitchforks? And even if they did, so what? It would seem that those distributors are no good to them in the first place if they are forcing prices so high that end-user customers are doing the self-importing thing anyway. A lost sale is a lost sale.

Ken

17. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a silly question at all, but it seems they just don't care so they charge what they like and sit back and see what happens. On occasion I buy from a retailer in Sydney, Tri-X and Across, at about $13.00 a roll. That seems reasonable, but I usually buy large quantities from the US, which is still a lot cheaper despite the horrific postal costs.
    I really don't know where Vanbar gets it's stock, but if I can import it cheaply...? Either they are ripping us off, or their supplier is ripping them off...either way I'm sure they never sell any film!

18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Sydney, yes, that's where my films are coming from: 5-pack RVP50 120 is $47.50. I am not really interested in retail nowadays; I buy from Vanbar (distant and frustratiing to travel to) only those items (not film) that are necessary e.g. tranny masks (themselves unreasonably priced!); virtually all my purchasing is online, in fact the whole family purchases online (I taught the "silver surfers"! :smile:; yesterday they bought a huge dining table setting!! )

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a real possibility that the distributor for film in Australia is also the distributor for other items that the Australian retailers are more dependent upon for their sales.

So if they try to work around the distributors and import "grey market" film, the Australian retailers may mess up their contracts with the source for the majority of their profits.

20. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, take the instance of a printer I'm (attemtping to) buy. Probably the Epson R3000 (but a tough call to the Canon Pro-1).
    For a start, look for a price in Australia. Find a price lower than $1350 retail, I dare you (and tell me please?). (i've found it $1180 on 'special' but that's still almost double the NorthAm price.
    Go to B+H, and see that it's $800, or $650 with a $150 mail-in rebate. Now add it to your cart, and click for shipping costs to AU. See the error "due to export or manufacturer restrictions we cannont post to AU". Same when I wanted a scanner, v750 (hey, the v750 isn't even available in AU, max is v700, I got my v750 2nd-hand off ebay from France).
    So yes, it's Epson leaning on B+H telling them not to post it overseas. Apparently Canon do it too, I just tried for the Pro-1 as well. Not to mention Canon's famous 'same-product-same-factory-different-country-so-no-warranty-screw-you' policy.
    Try Adorama? For some reason, epson don't lean on them as much, but still it's $780, plus $550 shipping please.
    Even on Fleabay from a (supposedly) trusted seller in Asia, it's well over $1000 shipped. We just can't win.

It's such a problem there's even been a recent Government Inquiry into m$, crapple, and a dooby, about their prices. We've got a good consumer-advocate group here that are actively encouraging the general public to circumvent geo-blocking for software downloads. If I were going to, I'm thankful I can log onto my company's VPN on my work laptop and attach to the Fresno node, others aren't so lucky.

Back to film though, at least shipping costs are relatively low. Velvia 50 and 100 might be fine, but I also shoot Delta P3200 (only in 120-size, then the grain is manageable). Importing from overseas, there's no guarantee that your package won't be X-Rayed and fogged in the process, actually there's a fairly good change it will. Thankfully there's guys like Cheap_shots_au who buy in bulk in a proper import, and thus bypass the xray that happens to small packages. Anyone ever imported really high-iso film and had it fogged by xray?

21. bed_hugs

bed_hugs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, I never knew how high the price of film can get outside of the U.S. I feel for you guys is AU

22. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then how is this possible? And why can't retailers in Australia do the same?

(Click on the "Imported" link under the price.)

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  23. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well yes, they can, read http://www.current.com.au/2011/11/1...importing-grey-market-cameras/NXFWUZCBHL.html for example. But they were one of the first, and only last year (besides a few online retailers, they were certainly the first bricks'n'mortar shop to do it). But seeing as Canon won't honour overseas warranties, JBHifi themselves are offering their own 'equivalent' warranty (ie, if it breaks, you return it to one of their shops, they send it off to repair, they foot the bill). Things needed for that are shops and size, I would gladly set up a business importing stuff and selling it very cheaply (compared to AU prices) but don't have the resources to honour warranties.
    (and now i've just gone looking for them, and found this. It was only consumer 550D-esque level stuff, but it's sad that it's gone).

I've no doubt that other companies could do the same. Places like DigitalCameraWarehouse (still on the example of my new printer) selling it for $1350 are no doubt paying a lot less for them. But why should they sell it for $800 like B+H can, when they can sell it for $1350, undercut rrp by $150 (10%), and still make a very tidy profit? The market's just not big enough here, don't forget we're 22million compared to what, 313mil in the USA? More people, bigger market, more competition, more pressure on prices. Plus don't forget they're a "richer" country, average wages are close enough but their Gini favours a lot of über-wealthy where premium items like high-end printers sell in more volume (hell, almost *any* photography besides P&S and iToys count as a luxury good, these days that's film too, 3 rolls and a camera is more than a low-end digital for 'unlimited' shots).

Anyway, getting sidetracked by my inner-economist and outraged-consumer fighting in my head. Looks like we'll be having higher prices all around then, as stock of cheaper-bought stuff gets used up, direct-import or not, we're going to have to pay just a bit more (and I'm glad I just bought a nice shiny new (huge) fridge).
    Still, as others have mentioned, if it's the choice between higher prices and no Velvia at all, then I'll just pay the higher prices. I've just started getting back into film on 135 then 6x6 and 645, I'm almost tempted to buy my first 4x5 to celebrate the fact that I can use it for a while longer...

24. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well you've almost answered your own question. They shouldn't sell it for less that $1,350... unless they have to in order to preserve their market share. And they'll reach that point when someone else comes along and self-imports and sells it for $1,340. And then someone else drops to $1,330. And then...

Eventually they'll reach a point where they are selling it at the lowest price point they can, and still be covering their overhead and making a workable profit. That probably won't be $800. But it will be a lot less than $1,350 or $1,500. The only way they can continue selling it at $1,350 is if they are the only ones doing so.

And when it comes to high-priced film, the subject of this thread, we're now talking a short-term consumable. Not long-term hardware. So the warranty issue essentially vanishes. How many purchasers have ever discovered a defect in their brand new film and returned it for warranty service?

Ken

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Canada, commercial importation of relatively small quantities adds a lot of overhead costs (shipping, duty, taxes, customs brokerage, etc.).

Our population isn't hugely different from Australia.

I wonder how the numbers compare for Australia.

26. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

23 million.