Fujifilm Sensia

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by pokerplayer269, Dec 26, 2008.

1. pokerplayer269

pokerplayer269 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hullo! I took this photo (http://jefffitzgerald.deviantart.com/art/Castle-Island-HDR-107413465) on my dSLR and was playin' around with the different simulated films in the ALien Skin Photoshop plugin "Exposure 2" and really, really liked the look of the (simulated) cross-processed Fuji Sensia. Is this an accurate simulation of xpro'd Sensia? If not, what kind of film would give me a similar effect? Thanks!

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why don't you try it?

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, sure, whatever.

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you forgot the sarcasm smiley face.

Choose "edit" in your original post, position your cursor after the exclamation point, add a space or two and the smiles are on the right you'll see the one that looks like this " :rolleyes: " click once then be sure to save the post.

5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    you may find that somebody who comes into the Analog(!) photo users group and advertises that they have taken a digital picture and simulated the effect of film on it may not be accepted fully. just a thought.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i usually use the plug in when i make coffee.
    i plug in the coffee maker and either pop out a shot of espresso
    or wait for the joe machine to stop bubbling.

:munch:

7. pokerplayer269

pokerplayer269 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Sorry! I didn't mean it to be like that. I only posted the photo so that you could see the colors I'm trying to get. I simulated it because I don't have the film, not because I think digital is better or because I want to take a short cut or whatever you're thinking. And to tiberiustibz, I probably will, but money is a bit tight right now and there aren't any camera stores around here that sell Sensia so I'd have to buy it online. I figured I could save some money/time by asking someone who may have cross processed this film.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

hey pokerplayer --

hunt photo in melrose is a little bit away from you,
    but they probably have sensia either short date or in stock.

go to their website or call them. i get film from them often
    and they usually have very good deals.

have fun!

john

ps. jdc (john callow) one of the mods here is a cross processing guru.
    he might know what film will give you the effect you are looking for.

9. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Few thoughts pokerplayer.

Please lurk and learn, this is a great place but most of us are not trying to imitate anything digital.

Check out flickr and use search terms like "Velvia" and "Sensia" and "Provia" and "400h" ... see if there's a color pallet you like there.

After that order the film and start playing.

10. pokerplayer269

pokerplayer269 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I'm not really trying to imitate digital as the digital is an imitation of the film.

11. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wasn't implying that that was your purpose or intentions. I'm just saying that's how it's interpreted here.

Knowing that your intentions are to achieve an effect you have seen, seriously, get some sensia and beg your local minilab to run it for you and print it. or get your own C41 press kit and develop it yourself. have fun.

12. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I doubt many labs will want to cross process a film, because it may affect their chemistries, although, if they are about to mix fresh they may be willing to run it through the old chemistries, which they are going to toss anyway. If one wants to do this kind of thing on a regular basis, then they need to home process anyway.

13. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While the insistence that you try it and see yourself may seem hostile (and some of the responses have been leaning in that direction) it really is the only way. Photography can be unpredictable, and cross processing especially varies quite a bit. Your mileage can and will vary - this is the same thing you'll hear when asking what Film X will look like when developed in Super Developer Y. Trying it for yourself is really the only reliable way to see what you'll like. If photography was a truly exact science it'd all be a far more boring hobby.

14. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

I personally think you would be better served getting some different slide films, shooting them, and getting them cross-processed to see the look each one gives, rather than deciding you like a particular look and trying to recreate it.

As someone has mentioned, flickr is a useful resource to get an idea of how different films look when cross-processed (try searching sensia and cross-processed (or xpro) for example)

Have fun!

15. ilovekodachrome

ilovekodachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try Kodachrome 64, if you'd like to see how unique film can be.

16. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ilovekodachrome: Kodachrome cannot be cross-processed.

wogster: Cross processing will NOT damage chemicals. That's a myth. Call Kodak and ask them. I used to work in a lab and we did it fairly often with no problems at all.

17. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Whether it does or not, a lot of people think it does, and are therefore unwilling to try it.

18. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If any lab is ill-informed enough to deny you cross processing, go to another lab! If they do not know that cross processing will not harm their chemistry, then it means they have not read Kodak's C-41 data sheet (Technical Publication Z-131 or something like that), which means you should not trust them with your irreplaceable film. The same places that will deny you cross processing are the same places that stretch their chemicals and never clean their rollers...far worse transgressions than running some E-6 film through their machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008