Fujifilm Xtra 400 in 120 - still in production and available fresh?!?!?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by CatLABS, Sep 6, 2013.

1. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  2. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a couple of 5-packs a year ago when it was only $23.

3. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In Germany, Xtra400 is still available in 120 at macodirect.de or phototec.de, in case you want to stock up while it lasts.

4. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to know it's available (I never thought to look for it), but why would I buy this when Portra 400 (120 5 pack) is only $30? For me, the nicest thing about Superia has always been the price.

5. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not much, other than the Fuji will have a bit more saturation and more grain!

6. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was not suggesting that you or anyone else should buy Superia if they're a happy Kodak shooter. I was under the impression that the OP had a special interest in the film (see thread title) and I wanted to direct him to a source where the film is still available. :whistling:

7. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understood. I was just commenting on Amazon's price. It's rare to see a consumer film priced twice as much as a professional film, all other things equal (film speed, format, packaging, etc.).

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole

I use this film for pinhole photography, for it's colors and it's very forgiving with over- and underexposure. I bought a very large stash several years ago (outdated + cheap) and it's nearly empty. So I use (cheap + outdated) Konica 400 PRO and Fuji 160 NPC mostly now. See: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl/2013/05/pinhole-images-for-wppd2013.html

However, this film costs new EURO 24.30 ($30.00) at macodirect.de including 19% VAT. See;
    http://www.macodirect.de/fuji-superia-400br5x-p-1647.html?language=en.
    I believe - when ordering from outside the EU - you don't have to pay the VAT?
    So I think Amazon is too expensive...

But great that it is still available.

9. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I buy this film in 35mm at my local Wal-mart, so it can't be that rare. Or is just that it is rare to find it in 120?

10. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, it's not that common in 120.

11. cl3mens

cl3mens Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But Kodak Porta 400 seems to be cheaper everywhere I look... And Fuji Pro 400H is just a few euros more for a propack.

I avoid Superia 400 these days since it doesn't handle underexposure well, I get magenta shifts fairly easily. Porta is superior here. But the colour palette of Superia can be nice tough. But I would never pay those prices for it.

Superia 800 in 120 would be cool tough. Nom nom. Or 1600 (it performs good when overexposed, a unique look). One can dream...

On a side note, wonder who is making the Lomo 800 120 films now when they switched from Ferrania stock? Porta 800 for that price seems too good to be true.