Fujimoto Lucky Timer 3: Plug

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Dietmar Wolf, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Dietmar Wolf

Dietmar Wolf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello.

I want to add a foot switch to my enlarger timer.

I have a Fujimoto Lucky Timer 3. This timer has two plugs. One is for the enlarger and looks this way I I (i guess U.S. standard) and the other one for a foot switch looks this way - I I like you see in this auction

My question: the footswitch is (too) expensive. Could you help me: what plug this is, so that I can buy a cheaper foot switch and add this kind of plug to it.

Do you think I could simply put in a US switch cable and leave the horizontal - plug empty? Or attach a simple foot switch, cut the plug off and insert the two cables directly and try out what works?

Thank you very much, regards Dietmar

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
  2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree with you there.

It is called a 'Cinch-Jones' plug. http://www.mouser.com/catalog/633/1288.pdf You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them in the EU.

I don't know the timer you have, but if it uses a motor it may send 220V to the footswitch. To be safe the footswitch should have a 3-wire cord rated for 120/220 VAC. http://64.143.128.200/treadlt2.shtml model #T-91-SC36 is the sort you are looking for

You will need to open up the timer and find which of the three connections is for ground - when you wire the footswitch to the plug make sure green wires only connect to green wires. The other two wires don't matter and can be either way.

3. Dietmar Wolf

Dietmar Wolf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much for this detailed description. No motor added.

Do you think I could add the plug to the footswitch from your website? Which plug is at this switch?

4. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Darkroom Automation footswitch comes with a 3.5mm / 1/8" phone plug -the same type of plug found on Walkman headphones. The footswitch is meant for electronic timers which supply 5 volts DC at a few milliamps just to sense that the footswitch has been depressed.

Cinch-Jones plugs are meant for 120/220V at several amps and were common on earlier timers driven by clock-motors. Beseler uses the same plug for it's electronic timers so that Beseler needs to only stock one sort of footswitch - not really a good idea as a switch that has been used at high voltage gets pitting on the contacts that causes it to work badly at low voltage and low current.

I am not familiar with the Lucky timer - does it have a knob that moves as it times out the exposure or is it electronic with LED displays?

5. Dietmar Wolf

Dietmar Wolf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just tested the timer. First, no motor, no movement, just three seperate knobs to set the time and if you push the fourth white one, it starts silent, no LED.

I put some cables in the cinch-jones. When I combined first with third, the timer started, when I combined the first with the second I could turn on the light as long as the contact of the wires. Cool.

There were some little triny sparks as I put the cables together, I think that is normal?

So I might have to buy two foot switches, one for timer and the other one for the constant light. I have to think about it.