Fujinon -W versus CM-W ???

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Sep 6, 2005.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is there any significant difference in terms of optical performance between the older Fujinon-W and the current Fujinon CM-W large format lenses?

2. fingel

fingel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good question. I have a 135mm CM-W, and I would swear there's an aspherical element in it. The reflections around the edge of the lens look too wonky to be a regular plasmat. Plus the image circle is sharp and bright all the way out to the edge then just drops off with maybe a 1/4 inch fuzzy halo. I have never seen what a 135 W does, but if it is like my Nikon and Schneider ones were then it would have a little more gradual fall off.

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The very first model is a different design I think. It covers more then later models.

4. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brad, you might check this site. There's a lot of information on Fujinon lenses available, so his site may help on this question. http://members.aol.com/subgallery/ tim

5. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kerry Thalmann also has some good info on his site at http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm. The very first Fujinon W 150mm is single coated. As Tim mentioned, it has very large coverage for a 150, which is cool. It is also a bargain, since folks don't seem to recognize its value due to its age. The situation seems to be the same with the 210, which apparently covers 8X10.

I think the older ones are going to suffer since they are single coated, but if you are looking for a bargain and need scads of coverage, the older ones are great.

Paul.

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't bet a lot of money on it.

7. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format

Thanks Tim. This does contain much helpful info. Will have to give it a careful read and see what can be gleened. Have read Kerry's fujinon info many times. Very interesting but, unfortunately, he doesn't go into too many technical details.

8. oper33

oper33 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    fuji w 150mm

According to this website http://members.aol.com/subgallery/byseries.htm
    it says the fuji w 150 has an image circle of 245mm is a 5.6 in a Sieko #0 and 46mm filter thread, I find it very hard to believe a lens this small would have that much coverage. Does anyone know for sure?

9. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I can say is the 210 covers 8x10. The 150mm G-claron cover more then 250mm IIRC and it takes an even smaller filter.

10. oper33

oper33 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    but if I remember correctly the G-Claron is an f9 right? Something is weird when a lens has all the same components as all the other lenses of that focal length but has a much bigger image circle.

11. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F/9 in the barrel or from the factory. The one I mounted into a #0 is faster I think. It's only limited by the shutter. If my math is right that's around F/5.5. I don't know if the Seiko #0 is bigger then the copal but the #1 I have is a little bigger then the Copals.