FujiPress 1600 and 800

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by j-dogg, Oct 29, 2010.

1. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wanting some high speed film for some indoor shots, anyone shot this stuff?

2. JayGannon

JayGannon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm more of an NPZ fan but the press 800 isn't bad stuff.

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just get some Superia 800. The "Press" version is the same emulsion on a 36-shot roll: same CZ edge code at a higher price.Surprisngly fine-grain with slightly tipped-up contrast and saturation relative to the old NPZ. Have shot lots and find Superia 800 looks best rated between ISO500-640; rated at box speed, it's OK but invites underexposure which isn't pretty. I found the 1600 grainy at box speed. The take home lesson with these films is to dial-in some over-exposure.

4. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I shoot Superia 800, I also shoot the 800Z. The Z is slightly tamer than Superia but it may have the slightest bit more grain. But in reality both are very good in terms of grain. The Superia has good colours in daylight, I over expose it by 1/2 stop (as I do the Z) and optically print. Nice film, one of the better Superias (along with the 200 and Reala).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  5. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot Superia 160? some kind of slow speed and my shots came out great at box speed. I'll grab a few rolls of 800 then.

Any other suggestions are welcome, haven't touched much high speed stuff in forever.

6. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There isn't much else. There's a Portra 800, I'm not sure if there's still a Gold 800 or not. I'm sure all the Kodak 1600 films are gone, the Konica 3200 is, of course, long gone (as is ScotchChrome 640). How about Provia 400X pushed a stop or two? That looks very nice. Check here: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1078825

7. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is Fujipress 1600 even being made anymore? I wanted to get some of it and Neopan 1600 but both I'm told are discontinued. I know the Neopan 1600 is discontinued (so I have to go to Ilford and Kodak now) but I thought Fujipress 1600 was still around; however, I've had no luck finding it. I like Superia 800 though; at least it is cheap and fairly easy to find.

8. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't seem to get it locally, will need to mail order out of country I guess though into the winter I am mostly shooting B&W anyways.

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Frankly don't think you're missing much since it's only a stop faster than Superia 800. I shot it at 1600, hated it and had better luck at ISO1000. Still, plain old Superia 800 is easier to get and more attractive in terms of grain, contrast and saturation. Fuji.ca consumer products, once ubiquitous, seem to be getting harder to find, so grab Superia 800 while you can.

11. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Superia 1600 gives fine pastel tones and I like it's grain. Just don't shoot it at box speed, it's 1000 ISO.

12. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agreed the Press 1600 is best overexposed by at least a 1/3 stop. At 1600, a little fill flash helps pop the colors and reduce the apparent grain in the prints. Have used a lot of it this way for high school football in dark stadiums.

13. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow has that film look, absolutely gorgeous I think I'm going to get a couple rolls of that.

14. cbphoto

cbphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Buy it up now. Anything Fuji above 400 is gone (according to Fuji USA).

15. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haven't seen even the 800 Superia for a while :-( 400 is at the grocery and drugstores though...

16. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got some Fuji 800 and shot it at 800 and 1600 but wasn't really that pleased with it. Expires in Feb/11, perhaps is already too old? I'm preferring fresher 400 shot at 800 at the moment.

17. jglass

jglass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    800Z samples

I LOVE 800z. Here's a sample of what it does, overexposed indoors with outdoor sunshine streaming in. Not sure what these will look like on this upload, but they're quite nice on my computer and printed.

Attached Files:

18. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did you shoot the 800 @ 1600? One stop underexposed? That may be why you were less than pleased. I shoot lots of 800 speed but always expose @640. I think it looks nice. Have you got scans from the lab? Often the sharpening can make fast film look really odd and almost pointillist.

19. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    2/11 wouldn't be stale unless it was baked. Superia 800 is good at ISO 800 but better at 500-640. Rating it at ISO1600 pretty much guarantees displeasure. Why underexposure this and Superia 400 by a full stop? Not sure Pond's runs a tight enough C-41 line to do a consistent 1 stop push.

20. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was expermenting since the FujiPress 1600 is impossible to get here at the moment. I expected to be less than impressed and I was but even at 800 I wasn't that impressed while in the past I quite enjoyed the film at that speed. They were yucky cloudy days which is why I wanted the speed, I was taking pictures of some interesting manky mallards (wild/domestic cross). Perhaps it was just too much underexposure. Shooting 400 at 800 gave me the best results that day shooting at f/5.6 to f/11 trying to get some depth of field on multiple birds at 400mm telephoto.

I do my own scans. I don't pay for store scans anymore as they are expensive and not what I want.

These ones weren't done at Ponds, I know getting labs to push is unreliable. I should order some Tetenal and push it myself though for winter I don't shoot a whole lot of color. I know with B&W I can push and pull at will and develop it myself and it turns out great but I don't have to worry about color shifts there.

21. totalmotard

totalmotard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought some Kodak Ultramax 800 from Walgreens just to try it. Color is crap. Washed out, not color balanced for indoors.

22. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I like Kodak Ultramax 800 quite a lot. Great color and surprisingly low grain.

More likely it was the Walgreen's processing that let you down.

23. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used Fuji Press 800 for about 5-10 years at my newspaper, before we went to DSLR's for work. This film was very good -- it pushed beautifully, had a pleasing grain that wasn't too bad considering its speed...never had an issue with it. I think I still have a few dozen rolls lurking around somewhere.

24. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Loved it for available light indoor shots at clubs/parties with fast glass and a monopod. Superia 800(CZ)was an amazingly flexible material that I shot rated anywhere between 500-1600 when I had access to lab that could do consistent C-41 push processing. Superia 1600 just didn't come close.