Fun with my borked Speed Graphic.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Stephanie Brim, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I may have figured this out, but I need a bit of help.

It seems that the kids didn't do as much damage to the shutter as I previously thought. there's a couple of rips, but I can seal those with tape if I need to. The issue I'm having, though, is that the shutter switch seems frozen.

[​IMG]

That one there on the side. As you can see, the shutter is relatively smooth. If I get a new back, I could get this thing working if I can get the shutter trip lever unstuck.

Suggestions?

2. SpeedGraphicMan

SpeedGraphicMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, be sure and get a Graflok back... Not a Graphic back...

3. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eh. I have a Mamiya TLR that I will be using for roll film and I do fine with the spring backs.

If I can get the shutter working again I'm going to use it for barrel lenses. If I can't, I'm going basically rip out the shutter and turn the camera into an interesting pinhole.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used invisible mend fabric to repair shutter curtains and bellows. I can't recommend a make though - the fabric I was using isn't made any more the Dutch factory closed. It's thin enough not to affect the shutters function and the one I used is also light tight.

How badly damaged is the back, is anything salvageable, I might make a small donation plus postage for parts :smile:

Ian

5. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A picture is worth 1000 words...

[​IMG]

Spring is completely off. I don't have the part anymore, either, because I think someone threw it away. Might have been me, even, thinking I wouldn't have time to fix it. I'm stupid sometimes. In my defense, though, I thought I was giving up on all of this. But now I have time. Or, well, kinda.

Also, I *really* am the Home for Wayward and Weary Cameras. I don't have ONE camera that looks nice cosmetically. Heh.

6. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOOOHOO! I got it. And now I know the biggest issue: the tension on the bottom roller is off. Like...way off. I think that with some baggies for screws, a sharpie to mark the baggies, photos taken as I go, a shutter speed tester, and a repair manual I could actually fix this stupid thing.

Anyone know someone in Iowa, or who may be coming *through* Iowa, who would have one? I know I should just buy one if I'm going to be doing anything with large format, but that way I don't have to spend the money right away.

ETA: Okay, I have a *somewhat* working shutter. This is good. So if I fudge a back and throw a weird lens on the front, I can test.

7. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  8. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got it. Shutter is working 100% of the time. I want to fix the small rip in the smallest slit, but then I can use it. So all I need is a new back and I'm in business. I think I have a line on one, so we'll see how that goes. :D

9. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a speed where the shutter was TOTALLY ripped on the high speed slit..but I used FILAMENT tape on it with rubber cement/fabric patch...just on the edges where it was ripped and it worked for long time...then I sold it and it is apparently still in service....use filament tape..that stuff is STRONG....filimants in the direction of shutter travel....be as THIN withthe tape and patching as possible as rolling it up adds a bit of girth to the shutter...them filiments are a lifesaver...super strong like fishing line.

10. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got lucky. It's JUST the very edges that are ripped. If I can get gaffer's tape, rip it thin, and apply it to both sides, I should be good to go.

I also *almost* just bought a new curtain. Almost. But I LOVE this stupid ugly camera. The more I can keep original the better.

11. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    New back will be in the mail by tomorrow!

Vaughn

12. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EEEEEEEEEE!

My husband has been having to hear about all this for days now and he's about ready to kill me. It'll be nice when he can just send me down in the dark when he gets tired of it. :D

I missed this SO MUCH. I'll be doing some funky shots with the Speed and a process lens. The only thing I still need is a piece of glass to get my contact print frame back in usable state. I'll have to see what the local glass guys can do for me on Friday.

13. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear your project is going well! Camera repair can be so frustrating but it's an awesome feeling when it all just clicks!

For cheap glass, try the dollar store, they sell 14x11 picture frames by me for $1.59 last I checked, maybe went up. You can use the glass from that or even a 8x10 frame.

14. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just have a 5x7 frame, as that's the largest size I do, but...there's a glass cutter in town that does custom sizes *and* custom thickness, so I...may have a slight advantage. Heh. It'll cost more, but I'll get a nice, heavy piece of glass instead of the thinner one. I plan on getting two: one to fit in my contact frame and the other larger, about 8x10, to use when I want to print 5x7 edge to edge

15. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Back was mailed today...priority so you should get it early next week. I forgot to put the screws in, but you said you still had the orginals...

vaughn

16. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are sitting in a Pyrex bowl on my table. Also, I can get more if I need.

Mail goes to the next town over now instead of going out directly from our post office, and the same happens to incoming. It'll take an extra day or so to get to me over what it normally would, which is somewhat annoying. However, Priority is usually pretty darn quick.