Functional Scratch-Built "Kammotograph"

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by yurisrey, Oct 20, 2011.

1. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Everyone, its been a while since I last posted on apug. I finally got some time off work to tinker around over the weekend. Having read through the limited info online on Leo Kamm's "kammotgraph" (a precursor to the kinetiscope) I decided it should be easy enough to build one. After working out the math -each image being 4mm tall with 1mm pitch in between=roughly 64 images on a 4 inch photo paper disc. I used Agfa paper and developed in HC110 (I was out of dektol) As you can tell from the image (that's supposed to be a waving monkey puppet w/ a banana) the f1.4 lens I found has a limited DOF and my focus was way off! But somewhat satisfactory for the first test run. Some frames overlap due possible gear slippage. Although not exactly a kammotograph (as Mr Kamm's device moved disc horizontally as it spun to allow more images on the disc) I will most probably build a Model N. 2 that would do this to at least get 10 seconds. In total 60 frames @ ~16fps. Maybe my brother, who is a woodworker, should've helped me with this one! to watch, click on link:

http://www.rpcfilmandweb.com/kammonkey.mov

oops! I spelt it incorrectly: "kammatograph"

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simply put. This . . is . . awesome!

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, impressive indeed.
    Keeps us posted on your progress.

4. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Really cool stuff, man! :smile:

5. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks for the comments! I forgot to mention number 2 will use a red/green color wheel similar to Kinemacolor. Anyone recommend or know of a paper film or a good off-the shelf emulsion like "liquid light" thats panchromatic?

6. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is fantastic in the true sense of the word. If the disc is 4" in diameter, I'd buy a box of 4x5 sheet film and a circle cutter. The actual measurements of 4x5 are a little smaller, but it may work. Easier still, I'd construct the next version to take a full sheet of 4x5 film and rotate it around the center point. A faster film (TMAX400?) will let you stop down your lens.

7. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately no off the shelf emulsions are panchromatic. You could experiment with making liquid light panchromatic but that'd be no small task. Or you could use an orthorchromatic film (like X-ray maybe) and use a blue and green filter, but I don't think the 2-color rendering would be nearly as good as green & red.

Having just read a book about Etienne Jules-Marey, this mechanism was quite appealing!

8. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks for the suggestions, I kinda figured as much when it came to off-the-shelf emulsions. I like the idea of using sheet film but wouldn't a drill press-type circle cutter shred it? Maybe a compass/blade contraption? i'll def try out the blue/green filter wheel since its just a matter of cutting out gels and pasting them on the shutter.
    By chance, if your a cinema history buff check out Who's Who of Victorian Cinema ( http://www.victorian-cinema.net/ ) click "on machines" and to see a plethora of early cinema devices-its awesome!

9. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is the circle cutter that you need.

10. altim

altim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is very cool, and now I know what a kinetoscope is :wink:

11. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't get your link to load on my apple w/safari ??
    Cheers

12. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is wonderful!

Jeff

14. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi everyone, now that I have a bit of time on my hands I'll be building a far better "paper film cinematographe" for my spring project that can at least take 30 seconds of footage. I will keep everyone posted, as I hope to have it completed before the summer. I'm currently drawing up the schematics & working out the gear ratios to grind. Any suggestions on what type of hard wood to use? Cherry? Oak? I'm shooting for a dark lacquer finish with brass fittings.

15. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good to hear you are still on the project. I can only offer the thumbs up and I am curious to see the results. :smile:

16. AlleluiaPTL

AlleluiaPTL Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
  17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the club Stephen.

It is not the first time a descendant of someone of importance for photography shows up after his predecessor being talked about here. I like that.

18. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Everyone! I've been MIA for awhile but will be posting more in the near future. Kammatograph N 2 is in the works!

19. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Camera Number 2

Hello, I’m back in school now and have had enough time to return to the Kammatograph project. As an update, I am still in R&D phase to build a true working model of a Kammatogrpah that uses 30cm glass disks and forms consecutive images in a spiral. In the meanwhile, however, I needed a platform to test various mechanical set-ups (lenses, intermittent mechanisms, etc. ). Hence this latest creation. I built it using some old gears I had around the house and plywood, stained "white oak" flavour. Essentially, it is a big brother to my original scratch-built camera. I’d like to thank Stephen Kamm (Mr. Leo Kamm’s grandson) for his previous post and also Barry S. for his advice on building a larger machine that eliminated having to cut the photographic paper. Tech Specs: f1.9/13mm Kodak Ektanon Lens with lens caps that have stops (not shown). ~90° shutter/ approx. 12 FPS/ 81 6mm x 3.3mm Images on 4x5 inch photo paper. Also, if anyone has any information on this particular lens, or where I can find out more about it, I’d be grateful. Total cost of project under $20.

link to camera tests (on youtube):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lp-5lKrJwE

link to see how it works: (a peek inside)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2XKuS1oEcE

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  20. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    forgot to show inside the camera (how it looks when scanning) inside.png