Future NE-APUG events

Discussion in 'New England' started by papagene, Dec 7, 2005.

1. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Whitey just mentioned in his e-mail to those who attended the gathering in Springfield, we should be posting our suggestions for future events in this forum to let all NE-APUG'ers know what's going on.
    And I have a suggestion concerning workshops that have been suggested:
    That any workshops that do not require the use of darkroom facilities can be held at the Valley Photo Center in Springfield. Actually there is plenty of dark space there, but running water in an adequate space is a problem.
    There is enough electric outlets and capability to have several studio lighting systems going at the same time.
    So let's not over burden Whitey and his school's facilities.
    We are off to a great start for getting this region to be a very active branch of APUG.

gene

2. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought about going through all the apug members to find New Englanders, and in fact, went through all the "A"'s and found only one "$modelman$ The list would be too long.
    Should we start a new thread asking for New Englanders to identify themselves?

drew

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you're a subscriber, you have access to advanced member searching in the "member links" menu, which includes a location search, but it only works for members who have filled in the location field in their profile, and if you search by state you'll miss members who report their location as "Cape Cod," for instance.

4. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Gene, I had been meaning to ask you about what the possibilities were for using the Valley Photo Center, someone mentioned doing a large format portraiture workshop, I think that this could work in your space, I'd really be interested in this workshop because I have no experience with LF and limited experience with studio photography, so I am looking forward to our next get-together! Krystyna

5. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Maybe if we can get ahold of a couple of Polaroid backs...

6. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the polaroid back for a 4x5 which, if not sold, I will bring.

also a p-back for the mamiya 645 super/pro

7. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also have a polaroid back for a 4x5, and I know Whitey has one, cause I donated it to him...

8. papagene

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got a question for the group... Anyone interested in seeing some photograms produced? Not just placing an object on to a piece of photo-paper, but a photogram where different cut-outs and a moving light source produces shapes and forms and a range of tones from white to black and everything in between.
    I have a friend who lives right next door in Chicopee who produces these amazing photograms, which can be interpreted as landscapes, figure studies even portraits. I have one I obtained in an exchange with him and it is quite beautiful.
    This could be something down the road for a future gathering. Just throwing out a suggestion - Whitey, he could do a demonstration for your students.

gene

9. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    too far out for me...but others I'm sure are interested. Give me straight vertical lines and a 5 stop range!

10. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd like to see that, gene. After the usual feathers, marbles and slinkys, I sort of lost interest in the photogram...I would love to see what can be done in the hands of someone who understands it better than I.

11. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. Sorry folks. Been under the gun to finish a bunch of webstuff for school and haven't even visited APUG in days. (hands shaking, haunted look in eyes...)

Got two of them, actually, Bill. The one which you so kindly donated and another which came with the Calumet 401 that I just fixed up.

The possibility for portrait workshops in the VPC is exciting- all that glass! Photograms also sounds interesting, but less so for me. I guess I want to photograph what's really out there - I can paint the other stuff.

As for Belmont Hill workshops. The best bets for the space being really "without kids" are the MLK holiday weekend and the middle of March, when we are on vacation. We have a set of lights, some with umbrella reflectors, some remote flash equipment (old, but usable) and a small variety of backdrops, incuding a theater. (Holly is not only the photo teacher, she is a lighting designer for music events in the real world and the tech director here.) Depending on what show is going up, and what state the set is in, there may be a scrim and interesting theater lighting possible.

There are two 4x5 monorails here. (Thanks again, Bill!) and maybe a tripod or two that are heavy enough for a studio set-up of larger cameras. Antique lenses anyone? I'm fitting up two of those old Petzvals (see for portrait use."Jim Galli Style" to fit at least a speed graphic and one for the Calumet. Those are fun. Even get to use some sort of black-hat magic on the Calumet, since I don't have a shutter for that one. :-/

Any interest in the January date?

And Drew.. For these things, New England is a concept. I think we can lower the drawbridge and let those poor, benighted Middle-Atlantic folks in as well, don't you?

12. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, I agree. There are people from as far away as Scotland I'd love to have at our workshops, never mind Atlanta, Texas and CA

13. papagene

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of tripods (my bogen 3021 and a 3036) to use. I can also bring my Calumet Cadet. Sorry, no polaroid back, sold my earlier this year. And I have two White Lightning WL10,000, umbrellas and stands that are available.
    I will talk to Ed Los about the possibilty of a photogram demo/workshop in the future - no big rush.

gene

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 16th is the day after my MFA intensive (10 days @ 12-16 hrs/day) wraps up, so I am likely to be pretty beat that day. If you guys meet then, and I can muster the energy to attend, I have a pair of Polaroid 4x5 backs that I will bring. Actually, you guys are free to use them even if I don't go- I live the next town over from Belmont.

16. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Speaking of LF portraiture....

...I just learned something in the Large Format forum. See the "front vs rear focus"
    thread....one of the replies will explain why people doing portraiture with LF equipment
    prefer rear focus....

17. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't add to the LF polaroid backs, but I have one for my Hassie. I need to learn LOTS about studio lighting.

18. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LF Processing

I've found out that my b&w lab isn't up to snuff..and so really need the darkroom workshop to refresh old skills...I am holding my breath!

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    gene -

i would be very interested in seeing this demonstration.
    i find cameraless photography to be as or more interesting than that with a camera :smile:

thanks!

hoping he can make it this time around ..
    john

20. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gene,
    The above reply reminded me to reply that I too would love to attend a photogram workshop, I work with adults with mental disabilities and I have been thinking that this could be fun to explore with them, but first I need to learn, thank you for suggesting this!
    Happy Holidays to You and Yours!
    Blessings, Krystyna

21. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey I just saw this. When's the date? If I'm free, I will come. Unfortunately, so far my work and travels have impeded my presence at these get-togethers.

Art.

22. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Merry Christmas everyone! 4 more days left till....

23. papagene

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Drew! Merry Christmas to you and a very Happy Holiday Season to all.
    And remember to please be safe out there on the roads this weekend.

gene

24. papagene

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK folks... Whitey has offered the use of his school's darkroom facilities for either the MLK weekend or during the Ides of March. The use of the VPC can be scheduled anytime - well almost anytime.
    What we need is to have someone(s) :D step up and lead these workshops/gatherings. Who would like to set up a Darkroom Workshop to be held at the Belmont Hill school? You can choose the subject(s) to be covered, make arrangements with Whitey for dates and equipment needed.
    And who would like to head a LF workshop (portraits?) at the VPC? There will be a LF exhibit on display April 5 thru May 5.
    Whitey and I will do our best to be gracious hosts at our respective facilities, but we both have a lot of responsibilities there that cut into our time. And I have precious little time to do my own photogy as it is. So please, lets have other people step up and lead a couple of these workshop/gatherings.
    Oh... I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend and got the toys that were dancing through your dreams. Heres to a happy and successful 2006!!

gene

25. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While I'm scarcely qualified to lead any kind of workshop, I'm very interested in large format portraiture. I'd be willing to donate use of reflector with stand, black background cloth, couple of lights (continuous, not flash) on rolling stands, polaroid film holder, and even would spring for 3-4 boxes of polaroid sheet film (we're talking real money here folks!) for general use during the workshop.

I scarcely ever get the chance to shoot portraits, would love to have some willing subjects (or even be one, though I hate having my picture "taken").
    Also I know very little about lighting, would appreciate any pointers....

26. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like you Bill, I would not be qualified to lead an LF portrait workshop, (although, I can go on and on about portraits in general) but I think with some polaroid backs and some lights/reflectors, and a few other toys we could certanly learn a thing or two from each other. I have a Speed Graphic, but no Polaroid back. So any portraits I make will get souped at home. I think this workshop would work well at the VPC, and for me sometime late March or April. It'd be great to get a few more APUGgers from upstate NY as well, so Springfield might be a good choice again.

I think getting a group together, some who know their way around an LF camera, and some, like me, who are pretty good at portraiture, but not as comfortable with LF and everyone willing to pose for eachother would make for a productive day. Unless we want to spend some $$, and bring in a "name"? I'd be happy to try to get this organized, Gene. If I get some positive feedback, I'll start a seperate thread.

It turns out we may be away for the MLK weekend, so if there's a darkroom workshop (would love to see someone organise pt/pd demo) I may miss that. I've done some pt/pd printing, it'd be a bummer to miss, but not as big a priority for me.