Future of 35 mm SLR

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mats_A, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the past, during the reign of film, camera manufacturers used to depend on Kodak-Fuji-Ilford-Agfa to come up with new films with new properties that gave the users new and improved experiences.

Now in the d...l age there are few new films coming out and the pixel count of a DX or FX sensor can not grow much above present values. What will the future of 35 mm SLR be? Ever more in-camera software? Or will the SLR merge with the camcorder?
    How will Nikon-Canon be able to get punters to buy a new camera every 3 year as they have done during the last decade?
    Is there a major paradigm shift in the 35 mm SLR future?

What are your valued opinion?

r

Mats

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well with d****** there won't be any new 35mm SLRs anyway. Unless someone discovers that CCDs and CMOSs cause cancer or something.

3. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A digital SLR is still an SLR (Single Lens Reflex)

r

Mats

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't care.

5. Alex1994

Alex1994 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Ah you mean SLRs in general? In the future we can expect to shoot HD video and pick out interesting stills. Computers and memory will be large and powerful enough to handle the huge files.

6. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you should care. If development of d...l SLR:s runs into a brick wall it could make way for a new film SLR.

r

Mats

7. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this really the future of photography? I hope not but fear you might be right. How many photographers will convert to film rather than shooting video?

r

Mats

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They have already re-invented the wheel and sold millions of cameras to people who already had them, they will to find some other gimmick to keep the wheels of commerce and industry turning

9. jackbaty

jackbaty Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    New 35mm *film* SLRs? No future at all would be my guess. 2 weeks ago I bought a new D300s. Today I received a mint Nikon F100 and at first blush it looks like (new-to-me) 35mm SLR has the best future :smile:

Are they still making new F6s?

10. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes but it's not a 35 mm SLR. I also reckon that the development of the 35 mm SLR had peaked at the time of the digital introduction and any changes were purely cosmetic.

11. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are right. My mistake. I'm used to thinking about SLR:s as 35 mm so I did not make the distinction.

r

Mats

12. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It might be still far. Philip Greenspun wrote in a film article (back around 1998) that in 10 years we would be picking frames off a video, we still don't.
    But in a mid to longer term future, it might be very possible.

13. Alex1994

Alex1994 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They'll probably make d*g*t*a* stills cameras for those who don't want to shoot video, then those will be phased out and there will be a minority community mourning the death of 'real' photography.

Where have we seen that before?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D Oh the irony!

r

Mats

16. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats a lot of questions in one post. Why dont you ask about Life, the Universe, and Everything as well?

17. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    "He who laughs last, laughs best"

18. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No need. Thanks to the late Mr Adams I already know that. 42.

r

Mats

19. Michael R 1974

Michael R 1974 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems like still-quality video will be the future for digital - ie being able to isolate a single frame from video and have it be of as good quality as a still shot. The other thing coming in sensor design is much more efficient light capture, which means you'll be able to shoot at ISO 100,000 with ISO 100 image quality. So it seems there's plenty on the digital horizon to make people buy and buy again.

My guess (hope?) is film will be around for a while. My reasoning is that as digital continues to evolve it becomes less and less like traditional photography. In my opinion it is already a medium unto itself, rather than a digital version of film photography. So perhaps there will be room for both, and a continuing market for 35mm film. The question though is will you be able to buy a camera? What will film users do when their cameras eventually die on them? Will Nikon make the F6 for much longer? I doubt it. For crying out loud, they don't even build their new lenses with aperture rings. So, while it seems people are still buying alot of film from Ilford, will a lack of camera availability eventually force people to give up on film? Or will a continuing demand for film drive one or two manufacturers to make cameras? Will anyone make SLRs, or will all film users be forced into the rangefinder niche? Sad stuff.

20. ted_smith

ted_smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jack

Yes, they are still making and selling new Nikon F6's. They are still expensive too - about £1500 last time I looked. I own an F5 and have read many articles about the F5 vs the F6 and the general view is that the F6 does not offer that much more over the F5 to merit the investmenet, unless carrying a very heavy camera is an issue! My F5 with my non-VR 80-200 lens weights a tonne!!!

21. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to be terse, but this kind of post really annoys me.

First, you are asking multiple unrelated questions in one post.
    Second, you are asking questions about the future that really cannot be answered.
    Third, you are off-topic with questions about digital.
    Fourth, you have random general questions.

"In the past, during the reign of film, camera manufacturers used to depend on Kodak-Fuji-Ilford-Agfa to come up with new films with new properties that gave the users new and improved experiences."
    -Who else other than film manufacteres would manufacture new film?

What will the future of 35 mm SLR be?
    -They will be few and far between. nobody really knows. Does that help?

Ever more in-camera software?
    Digital, yes. Film, Doubtfully, but who knows?

Or will the SLR merge with the camcorder?
    -Its allready doing that. Whether an SLR-like video/still camera style continues is comepletely dependant on the market and manufactures. Not likeley to go away anytime soon. Does it matter?

How will Nikon-Canon be able to get punters to buy a new camera every 3 year as they have done during the last decade?
    -The same way any company does. Did you really need to ask that?

Is there a major paradigm shift in the 35 mm SLR future? -Yes. 42 of them.

What are your valued opinion?
    -I like mustard better than ketchup.

-

22. totalmotard

totalmotard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Personally, I think d-SLR days are numbered. SLR technology was developed as a way to see what the camera sees TTL. It is a problem unique to film. Digital has no such problem, it can show you what is on the sensor via lcd. Design efficiency will eventually replace mirror systems with electronic viewfinders as EVs get better. d-SLRs are a bridge between the film past and the digital future. You can already see that mirrors get in the way of video. The only value d-SLRs have is in the legacy lens systems that film users had and a working interface that was familiar to a large market of users.

EVIL is the future of image capture (notice, I don't say photography).

23. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What shall become of the camera? Lets look at the most available camera in the world, the Kodak disposable 35mm camera. If you look at one of the newer boxes that they come in you might see that they have recycled, not sold, not manufactured, not scraped, but recycled 1,400,000,000 of these cameras, that is the returned and processed count to date, and I don't see signs of them slowing down because they make a nice selection of them and they are all over the place. With that many cameras being made and coming back for processing I think they are doing ok.

Well made SLR's will last a good number of years, but glass is turning to a APS size sweet spot that clips the corners on 35mm photos so I think we will eventually watch lenses leave us behind.

As for film, as long as someone is making those disposable cameras they will be making 35mm film so I think we are safe.

Who knows the way things are going we may soon see a 8-1000mm digital camera with a full size 35MP 35mm sensor, that will be a bad day for film.

24. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chill dude :wink:

r

Mats

25. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another thing that chaps my hyde about the OP's post is that he does not differentiate between SLR types...there are FILM and DIGITAL (DSLR).

Make the distinction because your lack of clarity has bollocks this thread!

26. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I was being quite a jerk. I apologize.

Darin