FYI: B&H has Kodachrome back in stock.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by athanasius80, Jul 16, 2009.

1. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. SMG

SMG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just checked how much the local camera shop, Henry's in Waterloo Ontario, would charge to develop that film. $50 CDN a ROLL!!!!!

Their explanation of the cost is because it now has to go to Kansas for processing. Guess I will never get the one and only roll of Kodachrome I ever shot processed now.

That just sucks.

But, great to hear that someone has it in stock.

Woo hoo.

3. willrea

willrea Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never shot Kodachrome and have been trying to get my hands on a roll.

Thanks for the heads up.

4. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just ordered (perhaps) my final ten rolls. Now to find something interesting to ruin it on.

5. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks ordered a few!!! Wish I could afford to order more. I'm sure there were other little items I should have thrown in with that but with my luck they would all be gone in 5 minutes!

6. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Great.

Now can you get T-Max 400 Type 2 back in fifty sheets of 8x10 in a box?

John Powers

8. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is he including the mailer with that price? That's awefully high. Dwaynes only charges $10 for36 exp K-14 (that's the lab he was speaking about; only one in the world). http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/common/Slide Film Processing Order Form.pdf

If so he's marking it up for himself, and quite substantially.

9. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps just mail it to Dwayne's yourself? You can get the information and order form on Dwayne's site.

-Laura

10. skyrick

skyrick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Adorama has it too. I just got an email saying my back order shipped today.

Rick

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. GJA

GJA Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    JustFilmSF.com would be a great site if they carried anything, unfortunately, they don't seem to at the moment.

13. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Seems Dwayne's has updated their prices - it's now US$22.95 ($10 + $12.95) for processing and mailing to Canada for 1 roll (plus mailing costs to them), and they say they're now shipping via USPS. A couple of weeks ago it was US$27 and shipping via FedEx.

Incidentally, someone PM'd me a while back and said GPC Labworks in Ottawa will also send away Kodachrome for you. I contacted them and they said it's CDN$12 for processing, CDN$5 for shipping to/from Dwayne's, and approx. CDN$7 for return shipping from them to me (so, CDN$24 total).

It's a shame Qualex went under - their coordinated shipping made K-64 processing from Canada not cheap, but at least considerably more affordable.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, pass on Henry's. When I asked in February, just after Shoppers stopped accepting Qualex-related orders, Henry's on Queen St. in Toronto said $16, or $3 more than what I paid previously. If your canister does not say process paid, do the direct-to-Dwayne's route. Just bear in mind that sending down there will run about $7 thanks to Canada Post air mail costs for a parcel, even though it's lightweight.

16. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I just had a semi-related thought about merchandising availability for these last runs: are these only being distributed in black cartridge, non-prepaid-for-the-American-market, or can we expect to find process-paid, red cartridge rolls being sold in Canada, UK, and elsewhere? I get the feeling that only the American retailers are getting their hands on this. Thoughts?

17. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OUT OF STOCK AT B&H.

18. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whew! Just made it, I hope!

I knew it wouldn't last long after this thread was posted!!!

19. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

That's what's called a "lazy tax", applied to those who don't send it off to Dwayne's themselves.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The prepaid processing cartridges haven't been available in Canada since shortly after the Brampton lab was closed down - old stock and grey market (from Europe) stock excepted.

Matt

21. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks!

22. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's silliness, Colin. When Qualex existed, it wasn't "lazy" to take one's Kodachrome to a lab that contracted out special processing via Qualex (or Qualex via Fuji). I was bringing Kodachrome to my Shoppers around the corner, and I patiently waited 4 weeks for the return. I wouldn't call that "lazy", but convenient, which is what Kodachrome needed most and never really got. It meant not worrying about filling out customs forms or getting things lost or delayed by the extra-rapid Canada Post*.

No, that Henry's location was being a pest. Maybe that Waterloo location poo-poohs film and finds it to be disproportionately low revenue, as one I visited in Ottawa did when the guy kept trying to tell me how great a D300 was, despite my insistence that I wanted to buy a couple rolls of Ilford. So annoying. But the one I go to in town here seems to have regard for film and processing services still.

* This comes in noting how it mysteriously takes 52 hours to make it from Queen Street to Bloor Street in Toronto using an Xpresspost mailer for a delivery of official documents — a total of about 7-10 minutes by bicycle — when one could crawl that distance in probably a twelfth the time.

23. SMG

SMG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Waterloo Henry's is not great for film, but there is one guy there who still supports it. The rest of the staff are basically not interested in it and don't know much at all about it.
    I was in there the other day buying some film and the manager was standing there. I said to him that he should get some of the new Kodak Ektar and he looked at me like I had three heads. His response was "I don't know film at all, maybe someone else here can help you". I told him that I was not asking for some right at the moment, but rather that I would like them to order some for me. He just shrugged his shoulders and turned back to arranging the film in the little case they have for it. What a tool.

Anyhow, when I saw the notice about Kodachrome yesterday I was really shocked. Yes, if I decided to get some done I would send it direct to Dwaynes and not give Henry's another cent of that revenue.

There is another small shop here in town that supports film decently and processes on site so I will be working with them more and more.

24. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone should have a little chat with that manager, as it is in his best interest to accommodate the revenue from all photographers, not just a tyrannical majority. It makes the difference between a camera joint and a camera shop renown for its great staff. Perhaps that's the thing about chain stores: aside from layout and pricing, it's foolhardy to assume that they'll all behave alike.

25. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After seeing this thread, and finding that B&H and Adorama were already out of stock again, I did a little searching around and found that Unique Photo in NJ's web site is till showing availability on PKR, at $13 a roll, though the regular is gone (they say a reorder is coming on Aug. 3). So I ordered some of the PKR. I've never been a big slide shooter, but I'll feel bad if I don't get one last go with Kodachrome.

26. GJA

GJA Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It seems that by announcing its end, Kodak has increased sales of Kodacrome enormously. In my opinion it would be a good idea for them to discontinue all of their film products every few months.