fyi- Classifieds anti-bump tool installed. Details within..

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

We've had a bit of a thread bumping issue in the classifieds. Mainly some are getting a bit carried away with bumping their ads. A new tool has been put in place to require a minimum of 3 days before bumping is allowed by the thread owner. I have it set to allow replies by regular posters and the thread owner should be able to reply to that even if 3 days has not passed -but all out bumps will require 3 days wait. Please do not try to circumvent this tool as it could result in your removal from the classifieds. The aim of this tool is to give everyone a fair chance for their ads to be seen. You can find some discussion of this here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum39/109193-bump-bump-bump-bump-new-post.html

At this stage we are going to test the tool and see how it goes. If you have any issues or bugs to report caused by the tool please let us know.

This is what the ad owner will see if they attempt to bump:

[​IMG]

If someone does reply to your ad, your bump time is reset and a notice appears:

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    kewl tewl

3. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good idea. Thanks.

- Leigh

4. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well done sir!

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bump

6. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    haha

Good move Shaun. I applaud your efforts

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I like it.

8. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great!

9. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks good, but I can't seem to edit my posts in the classifieds. No big deal, I can wait till later to do a price drop. I think this is a good idea for sure.

10. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually I think we can start allowing full edits, I am tinkering with ability for us to view edit history.

11. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried to show my item as sold but I was unable to post and whilst I was able to edit the previous post I found I couldn't then lock the thread.

12. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, a few more kinks are to be sorted out with classifieds. I have a coder looking into this now. What I would like to implement:

-no edit time limit in classifieds
    -edit history is logged and viewable by all
    -ability to mark ad as "sold"

Stay tuned!

13. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you eliminate #1 you eliminate the need for #2. No reason to change the existing edit window.

A seller can always mark an item sold by simply adding a new post in the thread.
    Any potential buyer will read the entire thread before making an offer anyway.

- Leigh

14. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not now he can't unless he is outside his 3 day bump period. That is exactly what I tried to do earlier.

15. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK.

What we need is another option in the Thread Tools menu that says Mark Thread Sold.

- Leigh

16. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last night I went to reply to a thread of a lens I just sold, I was met with the alerts installed. I like the idea!

However, I believe that if we can have the ability to edit the original listing, indefinitely, I believe that'll be the best option. It'll also allow threads to keep from going into multiple pages, especially if someone just wants to say "SOLD" or something like that...

Great idea Sean :smile:

-Dan

17. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, Dan, but I strongly disagree.

Unlimited editing can cause confusion, lead to accusations of inconsistency or downright deception,
    and put a large burden on moderators trying to resolve disagreements.

Any FS ad should be left untouched, except for substantive corrections during the normal edit window.

- Leigh

18. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the audit tool can be viewable to all members this shouldn't be much of an issue (still checking to see if this is possible as currently only admins/moderators can view the edit trail). Once a classified is edited there would be a notice on the ad stating it had been edited -and ability for the buyer to expand a view and see the previous edit history (exactly what was edited). The reason this could be beneficial is if someone lists 10 items in one ad, they can edit the original ad over several weeks placing "sold" next to the individual items in the original thread. Or maybe they had originally listed a camera and lens combo, but 2 weeks later sold only the lens. If it turns out edit history shows misleading edits their access to the classifieds would be removed so I doubt they would try anything sketchy.

19. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I too am blocked from posting a "Sold" reply to an item that sold almost immediately. I cannot edit the original post either. I'm using chrome on the iPad.

(EDIT) Actually, I'm left wondering how this works? What is the definition of "bump". What if an interested member posts a question to a classified ad...how is the OP supposed to reply? Are we to wait three days to reply?

Some thoughts:
    1)we ought to be able to post "SOLD" (case insensitive) at any time.

2) allowing the original ad to be edited indefinitely will probably eventually prove to be a very bad idea. I think it will eventually result in nefarious sellers revising the listing after the sale to ill effect. Sure, an audit trail will easily reveal their dastardly deed but, it will also add to the moderation / dispute resolution burden...and just generally lead to ill will. Who needs that crap. Yeah, we all expect everybody to behave like gentle people but there are always gonna be screw balls who think that they can get away with evil. (Notice how many people think it is ok to cheat paypal?)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  20. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If someone replies to a post, the OP is then allowed to respond before the bump time. I'm looking at modifying the plugin so that ad owner has access to mark the ad as "sold" regardless of bump time. Some may be caught in the middle until that is coded, but can hit the report icon and request closure or edit until then. Hope to have it resolved soon.

21. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you Sean. :smile:

22. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A quick question to any APUG administrator/s who might be reading this Forum and its posts -

I recently posted an ad (for an old Leica that's been in my family for many decades) in the Classifieds / buy/sell section.

Then I discovered, to both my surprise and my dismay, that, apparently, THERE IS NO WAY TO EDIT MY CLASSIFIED POSTING.

Supposedly, according to the APUG FAQ, posts can only be edited if the tiny Pencil / Edit ICON is displayed in or on the post. There ISN'T ONE in my classified listing.

What gives? Anyone have any ideas how to rectify this?

I would appreciate any and all help or answers to this.

Thanks!

Miguel

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is only a short time window available for editing any post here. Once that is over, you can only update the thread in a later post.

24. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, you can click the small black triangle in the thread, and paste in any updates you need. Most update the thread via a reply and I think members generally look for such updates.

25. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You got there before me!