FYI - Recent Server Issues

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Guys, about the outage... I was told a month ago that my host was in the process of acquiring a new server farm in another part of the country. He said once ready we would be moved to a brand new server. All of this happened last night while I was sleeping so sorry for the lack of advanced notice. There was probably a message at the hosting site stating the migration was going to happen and I missed it. We are now on a beast of a box! A dedicated dual 3.0ghz hyperthreading server, etc etc. It REALLY flies! I have fixed a home page redirect but we may have a few minor glitches. I'll keep an eye out and would appreciate any bug reports. Thanks! Sean

2. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    well I guess that answers it. Thanks, Sean (by the way, it is 3:12pm cst right now)

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, Sean!

4. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apparently not everything has migrated. Sponsor pages still show the "account suspended" message.

5. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think DNS (how the internet points our computers to websites) is still updating throughout the world. Things might not be fully up for another hour or two.

6. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the update Sean...it does seem to be flying :smile: Have noticed the times seem to be off (post made just now shows as "today - 12:25 AM)

7. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, so who do I bill for my shrink session? My withdrawals were so severe this morning I had to look at photo.net for almost 45 minutes till I turned sick...

Morning rituals are hard to break...

Thanks Sean for all you do.

Matt

8. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm still having login problems. After entering my username and password, I get the page that says to click a link if I'm not automatically redirected. For whatever reason, that automatic redirection has never worked for me. Thus, I need to click the link, which doesn't work. I can get in by going back to the main page (where I ordinarily enter my username and password) and refreshing it, but that's not exactly obvious.

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    had problems earlier seems ok now.....times are also off here in the wooly wild west

10. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just paced back and forth in my empty room ...

11. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its the DNS thing. Sean emailed me earlier today with "fixed" and it has just now propagated and allowed me to log in. Seems to be somewhat faster than before. Thanks Sean!

12. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey, Blaze-on, thats not so bad. I got to jonesing so bad that I spent an hour at graflex.org, reading the same posts that are asked over and over again for the past several years. Got to talk to my doc about some medicine for this...

13. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bit redundant posting it here as if you can read this, it's already fixed for you, but....

You can help things along by flushing the DNS cache on your local Windows box by opening a command window and typing ipconfig /flushdns at the command prompt (Win 2000 & XP - can't remember back as far as Win '98, but it's probably the same...) which will ensure that you pick up the new DNS entries. You may need to clear the Temporary Internet Files cache in Internet Explorer too if you use that, but try it without first. That's what got me back to APUG.

Cheers, Bob.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    still can't get in directly off my browser, but can still get in thru AOL. Could the problem with the service cancelled due to non payment be a mistake caused by the other APUG.ORG? Australia Process Users Group.ORG

16. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would have a tendancy to say your ISP has a proxy server that has cached the other information and has not updated their proxy correctly for a few days, our local ISP company was famous for doing this for a long time and I used to have to call them and have them do a forced proxy update to get things to propegate correctly when we published clients websites, it was a real pain in the rear!

Dave

17. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No, I suspect the message is just a generic one Sean's hosting service put up. FWIW, web domains are always referred to by a number, not by name - in this case APUG is 64.62.200.203. The DNS server translates what you type, to the numeric number that a computer can understand.

18. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ever since the change, I've been encountering an odd problem with Mozilla Firefox under Linux: When I enter "http://www.apug.org" as the URL, I get a page with the text "http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php". That's plain text, not a link. I get the same page after logging in and clicking the "click here if you're not redirected" (or words to that effect) link. Every other browser I've tried, including Mozilla (non-Firefox), Konqueror, and Opera, redirects to the /forums/home.php page rather than display the URL as plain text. I didn't have this problem prior to the change, so clearly something's changed that's causing Firefox to misbehave. Given that only Firefox is behaving this way, I'm inclined to believe it's more of a Firefox issue than an APUG issue, but as this problem began with the change in APUG hosting, I thought I'd detail it here.

19. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am running the latest version of Firefox both on my Mac box and my Windows box and have not had any issues since the other day when the change was taking place...

Dave

20. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No issues with firefox on xp and osx, any other linux users in here?

21. ras351

ras351 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but I'm not using Firefox. When I compiled the latest version of Firefox (v1.5) from source a week or so ago it had lots of problems with showing the wrong cached pages, not following redirects, blank pages etc so I deleted it as it wasn't even nearly useable. Plain Mozilla appears to work fine as has been suggested. I have had to set my timezone to GMT+3 instead of GMT+11 (Australian Eastern Summer Time) to get the post dates/times correct though.

Roger.

22. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, I'm using Firefox 1.0.7 on Gentoo running on an AMD64 system. Of course, it's also possible there's an interaction with some user setting (popup windows, JavaScript, etc.). Even seemingly unrelated issues sometimes interact in buggy ways. Fortunately, this problem isn't one that prevents my accessing the site; I just need to cut-and-paste the URL that's displayed or click a bookmark toolbar link to APUG (which is set to the login URL, rather than the base URL). This problem could be more serious for somebody who doesn't know the workaround, though.

23. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your running 1.0.7, you need to go to the website and update your version of Firefox, you about 2 updates behind...most of the problems I had, have now been cleared up with the current release of Firefox.

Dave

24. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Firefox is up to 1.5 now

lee\c

25. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Firefox 1.0.7 is the latest that's supported in a stable Gentoo installation (at least as of this morning, which is the last time I did an "emerge sync"). I'm not going to go outside of the Gentoo ebuild system for a program as major as Firefox. As I said, the glitch getting into APUG isn't what I'd consider a major problem, but it is a problem, and it is related in some way (that I don't claim to understand) to the recent server changes for APUG, even if that relationship just highlights a Firefox bug.

26. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the server change came an ip address change, maybe that is causing some wierdness for you?