FYI: Tripod shipping case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Elox, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Elox

Elox Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was looking online for a tripod shipping case and ran across this:

http://jelcoinc.com/HotDeals/tripodcs.htm

I have ordered one and thought others might be interested. I thought for $40 it was worth a try. :smile:

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks good. I still prefer my proflowers box. Hubby sent me roses in the box which came via fed ex. It is the perfect size for my bigger tripod. I have used it and duct tape to take my tripod on a plane. Works wonders when checked as regular luggage. No one thinks an old flower delivery box holds an expensive tripod. With the duct tape, it is easy for them to check it if they need too. The 30" size of that case you found just isn't long enough for my gitzo.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Measure carefully. It looks okay for small to medium sized tripods, but I don't think my Bogen 3233 with Gitzo G1570M would make it, and it would be a few inches too short for my portable lightstands.

4. Clueless

Clueless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For very large tripods a golf bag air-transport wheeled case works well. It does have a place for a pad-a-lock. I understand that a set of golf clubs so encased would also make a "score" to a theif; otherwise, a GoodWill find for twenty bucks.

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    since 9/11 they will cut off padlocks to check inside at airports. Hence my duct tapte method.

6. Elox

Elox Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I travel, I tend to carry my compact tripod, which folds down to 28". So, I should have room for it and my monopod. As for locks, I have been told that there is no problem with the new TSA-approved locks. I'll be finding out in December. :smile: