G-20 Toronto : Tear Gas and Film/Cameras

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by kristopher_lawrence, Jun 19, 2010.

1. kristopher_lawrence

kristopher_lawrence Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I am heading soon to Toronto to cover the G-20 rally. Let's face it: there is gonna be A LOT of tear gas outhere.

I am planning to bring two cameras (one Leica, and one K-1000 in case things get too hot to risk the expensive stuff) and a lot of Tri-X.

I was wondering if anybody has experience of the effect of CS gas on film/cameras.

Any other good advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

K

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The cameras will be fine in tear gas. It will irritate only your mucus membranes, not the metal and plastic parts of your cameras.

Don't panic when you get gassed. You will live. It will not kill you. Just keep breathing steadily no matter how funny it feels, and walk (i.e. don't run, trip, panic, stumble, stampede, etc.) to an area with some fresh air. The gas is not lethal, but you need oxygen, so just keep breathing. You will be OK in a few minutes after reaching fresh air. If you are from a dense urban area, it may not affect you badly at all. I had to get gassed in boot camp, and it was a pain in the ass, but definitely not horrible. Some people were more heavily affected, but being from L.A. my whole life, I seemed to be less sensitive to the gas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
  3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    dito,

NTC SD?

4. DLM

DLM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep. CS is not that bad. If I got through it in a tiny shack with some a-hole burning twice as much as he was supposed to, then I'm sure out in an open area won't be too bad.

5. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Be careful. Tear gas is the least of your worries.

6. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Indeed, be careful. I have been a part of various protests, and I believe in peaceful opposition. Not all agree with this, and thus exercise caution.

7. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be worried about protesters spray painting cameras. Happened at a summit or similar event in Halifax and I think they were a write off. How much do you love your Leica ?

8. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Careful out there. It wasn't the protesters here in St Paul, MN that were dangerous -- it was the police. They were swinging batons and firing mace at anyone and everyone. Especially people photographing the police beating people and firing mace.

9. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My son got kicked in the lens (which was attached to the camera which was pressed to his face) by a policeman during one of the various Pittsburgh Steelers related joyous riots. I second the notion of being more wary of the police than the protesters.

Duncan

10. Steff1

Steff1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We were gassed during boot camp here in Norway too. Turned out one of the guys was completely immune. He even smoked a cigarette while laughing at the rest of us choking. Hilarious in hinsight.

11. Tomf2468

Tomf2468 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was tear gassed in the late 70s. Some jerk thought it funny to set off a large military gas canister in the Griffith Park tunnel (Los Angeles). I was riding my motorcycle into the tunnel and thought it odd that 2 really tough "Hells Angels" types had dropped their bikes and were lying on the grass having a picnic. I should have known better, no one simply drops a hog onto the ground! They had just come out of the tunnel/gas. They weren't having a picnic, they couldn't see! I drove into the tunnel, and could barely see enough to "aim for the light" at the other end. I blared my horn the whole way, I couldn't tell what lane I was in! Far more gas that one would typically get in an outdoor situation. They took the two "Hells Angels" types away in an ambulance. Me, I went through a few minutes later... it had dissipated a bit... I got my eyes washed out and sent home.

I doubt typical police outdoor levels of tear gas will harm a camera or film or you. Crazy protesters and outnumbered police are what you should worry about. Be safe!

12. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll also reccomend being wary of the police...
    While hopefully the Canadian police are less inclined to gratuitous violence than, say, Italian or U.S. police, all police forces in the World seem to act irrationally and over-energetically under stress.

Also beware of the "provocateur" type demonstrators (more than likely masked), who may be demonstrators, police (good evidence points to that sometimes being the case during the 2001 Genova G7) or who knows what... They'll probably take great exception to being photographed whatever the case.

Tear gas is just discomfort... Keep your head.

13. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In hard times the Authorities are prone to extremely unpredicable behavior regardless of nationality. Be very wary of everyone. And again good luck.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Whatever happens, please post some pictures here.

16. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suspect the black hoodie crew won't get close enough to get gassed. DTTO is going to be sewn up tight and I doubt there will be any WTO-style battles. Radical chic aside, there likely won't be much point or opportunity to shoot much anything apart from fences with G20 security so tight. Leave the Leica at home.

17. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tear gasses as a class are called Lachrrymators. As seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_gas they act against enzymes, but I can also tell you that they release very acidic materials such as Hydrochloric Acid. So, I suggest that you take care with the camera and film so as to prevent corrosion and other problems. The release of these corrosive components only take place in the presence of water, so keep the camera, lens and film dry.

I have made one particularly potent variety of tear gas in the lab at one time or another so I am well aware of the properties. I have also worked with many Lachrymators. They are no fun!

PE

18. kristopher_lawrence

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the answers!

Not to make that thread too political, believe me: there IS gonna have riots, if the black block doesn't start it, the cops will make sure that sh*t will happen. Why? because they have to justify the 1 billion $ budget.

Police had trouble makers among the crowd in Montebello for the north american summit, and last G20 in Pittsburg was the same. And no, it is not conspiracy theory it is well documented by well established medias. See CBC about the Montebello summit.

Again, thanks!

K

19. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ear protection is also a good idea. The Toronto police have brought in some sort of sonic canons for crowd dispersal

20. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's what I learned shooting riots in South Korea.

1. Wet handkerchief over mouth saves you from inhaling the powder.
    2. Swim goggles keep the gas out of your eyes.
    3. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING NEAR YOUR FACE UNTIL YOU HAVE WASHED YOUR HANDS TWICE.
    4. Your cameras will stink, but it will eventually go away.
    5. Wipe down any hard surfaces with a lightly wet rag when you're back from shooting.
    6. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING NEAR YOUR FACE UNTIL YOU HAVE WASHED YOUR HANDS TWICE.

If you can get a gas mask with large eyepieces, it will make your experience much better. If you cannot aquire a gas mask, then the swim goggles and wet handkerchief tied around your head will do pretty good.

[​IMG]

21. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I certainly hope not. I wish anarchist idiots, liberal apologists and other domestic terrorists will leave my peaceful hometown city alone. I hate the G8/G20 too and think $1 billion spent on security is a travesty but still this thread is just marketing to egg criminals on to riot. It should be deleted or sent to the soapbox.

Regards, Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
  22. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ya Rush live baby

23. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even if it's not aligned with yours. He did ask a legitimate question and was answered.

24. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    plus one

Most Torontonians are going north next week.

25. kristopher_lawrence

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Art,

I agree with you that it is very unfortunate that this event is putting danger on the city. In the past, canadian authorities had the good idea of holding these summits in small, remote areas. They had learned their lesson at the 2001 Quebec City summit, but now, they changed their minds. You can surelty blame those stupid black box militants, but you should also blame the autorities that are at the moment, by the way, conservatives, not "liberal apologists terrorists", for holding this summit in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I don't support trouble makers, but I know that there will be some, and must be prepared for it. If nothing happens, fine, but would YOU go witout asking some advice for your security?

If I was to shoot from the police side of things, documenting they work or even inside, documenting the policy makers meetings, would you say I am pushing "terrorism" even if my technical questions/concerns would be the same? You say you are unhappy with the decision to hold the G20 in Toronto, but did you do anything about it? Signing a petition, supporting small buisnesses that are the ones that will take a financial hit? Writing a letter to your MP, the Prime Minister, or the Toronto City Counsil?

Your rights (and duty) as a citizen are giving you much more options then blaming my thread. But, wait, "I am marketing egg to criminals on the riot" on APUG? Never realised that there is so many angry anarchists on this forum that were eager to go to throw some rocks at the establishement :wink:

Anyhow, thanks for the usefull advice other have given me.

Peace,

K.

26. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I enjoy cheesecake. :D