GAF Vividol Universal B&W Paper and Film Developer 5gal

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Coffeehound, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Coffeehound

Coffeehound Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not sure if this is proper or not and if it is not I apologize. While searching for information a a bulk film loader that I have I found this that auction site. Not sure if this developer was any good but I remember the 200 and 500 speed slide film they had in the 70s.

again. GAF Vividol Universal B&W Paper and Film Developer 5gal Item number: 300516522027 Ships from Mechanicsburg, PA. Reportedly they have 6 available.

Jackie

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So what exactly might be the question? Your post is kind of unclear. Sorry.

3. Coffeehound

Coffeehound Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What results could I expect from this. The listing shows a picture of the back of the can and it is both paper and film developer, 1:1 and 1:2 if I remember right. 5 gallons is a lot of developer but would this be worth the investment? $14.99 and S&H.

4. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even if it is a good quality developer, with a 5-gallon container I'd be concerned it would stay viable until you could use it up. I'd be more trusting of D-76, or Rodinal, which keep well and can be diluted enough to be economical.

5. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leave it alone. It's got to be very old, and I would not be surprised if it's gone bad even though it is in a can. Then again, if it's good, I'd only use it for paper. I've never seen any development data for the stuff with any film. Do yourself a favor and get some D-76 or XTOL.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi coffeehound

i used a 20+ year old red container of gaf universal ( maybe it was before it was called vivadol universal ? )
    it was the best developer i have ever used, hands down ( even poorly stored and 20+ years old )
    it was in a studio i was renting, and on a window sill cold in the winter, and really hot in the summer.

i don't know if this is the same stuff, the dilutions for the other universal were 1:1/1:2 paper, 1:5 film 68ยบ / 6mins
    and that isn't what vivadol universal suggests.

if you can contact the seller, ask if it is all loose inside or if he can hear clumpy developer,
    if it is clumpy stay away , but if it is all loose, you might buy a can and see if it is any good :smile:
    just don't use good film for your tests :smile:

-john