Galleries that feature wet darkroom work

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by lightwisps, Jan 4, 2010.

1. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    At our gallery we only feature wet darkroom photography and it seems to be doing OK. We do have other types of art as well.

What I am asking is wether or not there is such a gallery in your area. Reason? Because I am serious about opening a second gallery that is only photography.

Anybody have any input?

Thanks,

Don

2. Dave_ON

Dave_ON Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Pakenham Ontario? I seriously need to get out more Don. I had to Mapquest it.

No there's nothing that I'm aware of in S/W Ontario. I'm not sure there'd be a market here in blue collar Windsor though. We have trouble telling a silver gelatin print from a charcoal sketch. I'm "blue collar" myself though, so I'm allowed to slam us.

I would think London? K/W? Stratford and St Jacobs get a lot of traffic from the cultural crowd. Places like Cookstown north of Toronto might do well too.

Dave

3. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Of note as well is whether the gallery is private or public -- public galleries pay artists to exhibit, private galleries do sometimes but varies from place to place.

I commend anyone with a commitment to photography and exhibiting it...best of luck with your space, Don.

4. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The Dylan Ellis Gallery shows traditional and digital wet processes year long. We are located in Toronto

5. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Dave, Pakenham is really a quaint town. It is about 3 major blocks long, but very historic. We are looking at buying another building in town at the end of the bridge.

By the way, I come from a blue collar family and consider myself blue collar. Hell will freeze over before I wear a tie.

Google Three Yellow Tulips if you wish to get an idea of our little Shoppe.

Don

6. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Colin. We are a private gallery that pays a higher than average commission. At 3YT we only have local artists, but if we do the photo gallery we will accept works from wherever. Don

7. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Much success to you. Personally, I would never buy someone's inkjet print.

8. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don

More power to you, but I didn't understand it completely. You only feature one things but you have other things too? :surprised: scratching head...

Museum Ludwig in Cologne, Germany, a very old and prestigious art museum features 'real' photography and paintings. Maybe that is what you meant?

9. Dave_ON

Dave_ON Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's hilarious Don! I found your web-site and my Aunt is one of your listed artists. Without mentioning her name, she's a wood turner from Arnprior. If you talk to her, don't tell her I didn't know where Packenham is.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  10. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    There are several in California in areas such as Carmel/Monterey, Napa, Mendocino.

Jon

11. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don and Bob:
    I have an exhibition of my China work that's been exhibited already...I have a lot of new work I'm even now poring over, so that may evolve/expand in coming months.

Sometimes they allow us prairie types out on good behaviour, so who knows...a Trawna trip could be in order!

12. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best ice cream in all of Canada. (used to be second best when Giesebrecht's was still around... :tongue: ) Please tell me that is still happening. It has been far too long since I've been that way.

Cheers,

13. Dave_ON

Dave_ON Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes Giesebrecht's! Same family that had the Pepsi franchise out of Petawawa.

14. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You guys are really making me want to visit Ontario, sounds awesome.

15. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How the heck does a Windsor boy know Giesebrecht's? I grew up about a mile from their little store. I have to admit that though we were loyal to Giesebrect's ice cream, we had a grudging respect for the Packenham crew. :smile:

Cheers,

16. Dave_ON

Dave_ON Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had to spend some time at CFB Petawawa. Home town of the Giesebrechts if I remember correctly. I wasn't a very good soldier but they did let me off the base to head into town once in a while. :D After that I became familiar with the name from being in the beverage industry as the Giesebrechts were.

Dave

17. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out Point Light Gallery in Sydney, Australia. As far as I know they have never even considered letting any digital anything up the stairs let alone into the gallery space. It's as utterly traditional as it gets.

Now that I think about it I can't even recall seeing a colour picture in there either.