Galli Garage Sale! Petzval's! ULF! Antique Bokeh! #3

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by jimgalli, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Once upon a time about 1969 - 70 ish, Schneider needed a wide field process lens and the answer at least in that early time frame was the Goerz Dagor formula of lens. Later G-Claron's are Plasmats of course. Also superb, and cheaper to produce.

[​IMG]

All of the Dagor type G-Claron's are scarcer than the later plasmats because they were only in production for a couple of years, and the scarcest of the scarce is this 270mm. This is a delightful lens in use on 8X10. It's feather light and has ALL of the quality of the Kern Gold Dot Dagor's at a fraction of what those get on Ebay.

[​IMG]

As good as the Plasmat's are, I have continued to believe that these Dagor type G-Claron's have a slight edge in the way they divide up the contrast. They simply make excellent negs in difficult outdoor environs. That's important to us desert dwellers.

[​IMG]

Here is the ULF in the title above. This 270mm G-Claron would be usable on 11X14 / 7X17 the same as any 10 3/4" Dagor type. Try to find a coated late 10 3/4" Goerz Dagor. Even when you do, you're in for a spendy lens. If it's got gold up front, it's incredibly spendy, and it's likely in a big clunky Ilex #4 shutter. Cake and eat it too. This is in a Copal 1 press. The aperture scale is 100% accurate even if not pretty.

[​IMG]

Caveats that will cost me about $225 over what I would ask for a perfect example....it was cleaned carelessly in it's previous life as a process lens in Germany, and there are some cleaning scratches front and back. Effect on finished negs? Less than 1% contrast loss. Nothing at all really. This lens will delight you......guaranteed.

$335 + shipping

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim- any ideas if it will cover 14x17, even if only at very small apertures?

3. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks to me like you got a dead fly on your backdrop in the first few images.

4. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Scott. No, in fact it's somewhat weak in the very corners on 1114. Jim

5. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    No doubt killed by flying too close to the piercing sharpness of these lenses I'm selling. Buyers Beware. Keep your pets a safe distance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  6. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lol

7. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sold over at LFForum. Thanks ALL!

Thread Status: