GAS attack: I bought a Mamiya 7ii ... now having second thoughts!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bobby novatron, Jul 5, 2010.

1. bobby novatron

bobby novatron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not really sure why I'm posting this thread, but I guess it's more a cry for re-assurance that I'm not a total idiot.

My background: avid amateur / enthusiast, I have been shooting dSLR's for several years, but recently got back into film. I have been slowly amassing a tidy collection of wonderful film cameras (35mm and medium format).

On an online forum (not APUG) this past weekend, I innocently scanned the classifieds and came across a Mamiya 7ii & 80mm lens for a very reasonable price. Instantly couldn't help myself, and thoughts raced through my mind: the Legendary Mamiya lens quality! The massive 6x7 negatives! Oh the possibilities!

GAS attack clouded my better judgment, and a few minutes later I had PayPal'ed a small fortune to a total stranger for a camera I had never seen.

Someone please re-assure me! This wasn't a bad move, was it?

2. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the 7ii is freaking sweet and a worthy GAS purchase.
    If you don't want it, i'll trade you for it and use the crap out of it.

3. rpsawin

rpsawin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have just bought into one of the finest medium format systems available. The lenses are among the best. Really empress yourself by shooting some chromes and then view them on a light table. You will be wowed.

Best regards,

Bob

4. bobby novatron

bobby novatron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, TheSognly ... that's the kind of hand-holding I'm looking for. In all truth, I'm really looking forward to trying this beast out.

5. bobby novatron

bobby novatron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good advice, rpsawin -- I have some Velvia in the fridge that's whispering to me at the moment...

6. rpsawin

rpsawin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bobby,

I love my kit. I use it for landscapes, seascapes and urban/industrial shooting and it's great. If I had to scale back to one system this would be it.

Bob

7. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I spoke with a professional photographer who was selling a Hasselblad, Leica and a dozen a bunch of other systems he'd used in the past. I asked him if he was keeping anything given the variety of gear he was selling.

He said he was shooting 4x5 and would always keep his Mamiya 7. He sounded very attached to the system. :smile:

8. bobby novatron

bobby novatron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for everyone's comments about this issue. I have limited experience in medium format, currently owning a very beat-up (but functional) Pentax 6x7, and a Fuji GA645zi ... both are very interesting to use, but each has its limitations and drawbacks. I'm hoping the M7ii will bridge the gap and provide the amazing image quality and functionality that I am seeking.

9. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You have nothing to fear but fear itself. Stop the whining. Make pictures.

10. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been lusting for a 7 for a LONG time. Alas, the RZ67 system is much more within my financial reach. Someday I expect GAS will get me, though. Good luck with that 7, and know that if you don't like it, you can always sell it for at least what you paid for it.

11. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, which is it -- "a very reasonable price" or a "small fortune"?

Can't be both. You got a nice camera...be open to something new and go with your initial gut reaction. I bet in a month or two there won't be any doubt at all!

12. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You chose a great camera and glass. the sharpest medium format glass there is! I wish i didnt get rid of my 7 but i could not adapt to a rangefinder. Congrats on the gear purchase!

13. Sim2

Sim2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hallo,
    I had a sought of similar reaction to buying my Hasselblad - even though I had thought it all through, searched and waited for *the right one* once I had bought it - <panic> what had I done, too much money, what was I thinking, could have got a blah blah blah instead......etc.
    I think your reaction is typical of someone who (not knowing circumstances) may not have loads of money to burn/waste and perhaps seeks value for money.
    Not knowing what you paid for the camera, difficult to say if you got a bargain - however, the 7II and lenses are legendary and was the only viable alternative for me to the Hass.
    Try it, enjoy it and if it doesn't suit I would be confident you could get what you paid for it.

Sim2.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look at it this way ... you're going to like it so much that once you sell all your DSLR's you'll probably almost break even.

16. bobby novatron

bobby novatron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Reasonable price" vs "Small Fortune" depends on the level of anxiety I'm feeling at any particular moment. :smile:

Actually, the price I paid was 60% less than the new Mamiya 7ii bundle at B&H, although the retail USA/Canada prices for these cameras are totally ridiculous to begin with.

Thanks to everyone for their positive words of encouragement...photos to follow soon.

17. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a bad move at all, you'll have fun with it. When I got my first mamiya 6, I
    practically slept with it for the first few weeks.

Especially if heavily used, these RFs can have some issues requiring adjustment, so be sure to give it a good going-over before as soon as you get it. Then... enjoy! It's one of the finest pieces ever. My 6es are constant companions. And I've probably shot 75+% of everything with them.

18. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only thing I wish the Mamiya 7 did better was with closeup photos. The 150 could be a nice portrait lens if it focused closer. And macro is certainly out. The 7 system would be the last camera(s) I sold as well.

19. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You may want to check if your camera was imported through Mamiya USA. If it's a gray market import, they won't service it. Not to worry - you can always send it to Precision Camera Works:

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/services.html

I haven't used their services yet myself, but a friend had good experiences with them.

20. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can vouch for Precision Camera Works. Good work, fair price. I've also used Mamiya USA for adjustments---also good, and faster than Precision.

21. bobby novatron

bobby novatron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the info re: servicing (precisioncameraworks) ... that is good to know for any future servicing. Don't know if the unit I bought is grey market or not.

22. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a good and convenient camera. It is worth it if it works as a good tool for you. If not, it ain't worth it, and you can sell it.

23. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've got a great camera. My friend has one and he travels with it. Very sharp images. Can't say the same for my Mamiya RZ. Shoot a couple of rolls soup the film and you won't feel like an idiot. You'll congratulate yourself. May you enjoy it for years to come!

24. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something is wrong with the RZ, or with the way it is being used. I get incredible pix from mine, even hand held.

25. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't regret it, Mamiya is around for a reason, despite the digital onslaught. And though I haven't used a 7ii (I just bought myself a GF670) - it's on my list of earn and get it.

26. ashokgoyal42

ashokgoyal42 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RZ

I have two RZ's and I have to say my experience is completely different. Awesome picture quality. Use a light meter to set your Aperture and Time.