Geared head options

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by jcc, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the ArcaSwiss C1 Cube the only compact ArcaSwiss-style quick release geared heads out there? I'm currently using the Manfrotto 400, but it's proving to be too much of a beast to haul around in a backpack — that, or I'm getting old!

The Linhof 3D Micro, and Manfrotto 405 and 410 have quick release plates, but are incompatible with longer plates (which are the kind I mostly use). Attaching an ArcaSwiss-style quick release holder to the default plates for these applies a lot of torque (due to the length of the plate) on the tiny 1/4" screw. I'd rather not worry about the gear failing, and concentrate on the shot.

Are there any alternatives to the C1 Cube, or is it the only game in town?

2. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not seen any other than the ones you mentioned - perhaps someone has spotted some other? I am using the Manfrotto(s) also and my only complaint so far is the weight.

3. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Manfrotto 400 head outweighs the legs, camera, and lens combined! (or at least it feels that way)

4. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There was a copy of the Cube from Korea I believe that I read some good things about. I don't remember who made it though.

5. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's still heavy but you can grind down the end and fit the arca style QR

6. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Google came spat out the Photo Clam Multiflex; currently, almost the same price as the C1 Cube... I'll probably wait till my convenience is worth a little more to justify a new head.

7. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Manfrotto 405 is actually a good geared head, but nobody will ever understand why Manfrotto still insists on its stupid proprietary quick release. Most people I know just add an Arca-style clamp, I never heard any complains about stability issues. You might feel better if you add some superglue between the plate and the clamp or drill some extra holes and add screws to connect the plate and clamp forever.

In the US you might also consider a Majestic geared head. They weigh ca. 6 pounds but they are rock solid, and sometimes you find them on ebay for quite low prices.

8. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. pawlowski6132

pawlowski6132 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So, I bought a 410 head just today and it seems awesome. However, how do you level it when you shoot our camera in portrait mode???

10. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use an L bracket. One of the best accessories I ever bought. The camera stays on top of the tripod, not somewhere at the side.

These are made by Manfrotto:

http://www.manfrotto.com/l-bracket-rc4

I use an Arca-style clamp on my tripod heads. There are many custom L brackets for specific camera models that fit Arca clamps.