Gel filters

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Anscojohn, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where can I buy gelatin filters that can be mounted either in front of or behind a lens. Are the old-style Wratten filters still available?

2. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    John,

Yes they are, but very expensive!

I know that B&H in NYC still stocks them, also the old Kodak Wratten filters are now made by Tiffen, anyway see the links below. One link is B&H, the other Tiffen

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Gelitan-Filters/ci/5037/N/4289360650

http://www.tiffen.com/kpa.html

Hope this helps

3. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ouch!!. Thanks, Ira.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've gotten a bunch of mine in lots on eBay with cameras. Given what they cost today, a big set is often worth more than the camera, even though they're usually thrown in as giveaways.

I also like the Lee polyester filters from Calumet.

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anscojohn,
    What filters are you looking for? I've got a slug of 3"sq. that I could be persuaded to part with.
    I've also got frames on most of them & a couple of holders(I think).

7. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, I have a lot of them too... various. Between several offers you might find all the filters you need. You didn't mention size though. :smile:

8. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I lucked into mine at a camera show. $5 for all the cc's I need to dupe tranys and negs, and the more mainstream b&w and colour correctors. They were the 'find' at that show for me.

9. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lucky Mike... you're not likely to find a deal like that again. :smile: Were those gels or acetates? The acetates were more commonly used in duplication.

10. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A mix. Some cc's and some cp's. I hobby at theatre lighting and bring home the odd scrap of that stuff too. It works fine for me in many situations, even if not optically perfect.

The viewer of a print does not have to know what went into making the print.

Kind of like enjoying a piece pf pie and wondering if the eggs were chilled before being whipped. If the pie is good enough no one cares how it was made.

Theatre gel, as other posters note, is a deal. A designer swatch book from Rosco, and a life times worth of filters for most photographers for a whole $20.

11. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Several years ago I wanted graduated filters to filter the sky (yellow and orange) and not really affect the land (for b&w film). I don't recall finding what I wanted so I bought a couple of clear resin filters and made my own with RIT dye. I heated the dye on the stove and kept dunking until I got the tones I wanted. Although it was time consuming it wasn't costly and they worked. I don't recall the brand of clear resin filter but they are 4x4 and fit a holder I already had.

12. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I mount my 4x4 Wratten filters behind the lens on my LF cameras. I had always rigged up something to hold them. Now LEE has come out with a holder that will fit on the front of the lens as well as the back of the lens. I bought one. It is sturdy plastic. It holds the filter onto the lens with a thick rubber band, which can work on the front, too.

It is inexpensive, about $20. They also sell some 4x4 frames to hold the filters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186726-REG/LEE_Filters__Gel_Snap_3x3_4x4_Filter.html

I recommend the item, but the holder is pretty big so it may not fix in a 4x5 camera.

-R

13. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ^^^ I'll like go with a system like that.