Gentle agitation

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bogeyes, Nov 7, 2007.

1. bogeyes

bogeyes Member

In the rodinal semi stand disaster thread Gainer asked what is the definition of GENTLE agitation and what is its virtue. I have not got a clue ,but this is what I do: (1) I gently invert my paterson tank letting the developer flow smoothly through the reels just fast enough so that the dev does not froth or splash about. (2) I then swirl the tank anti-clockwice twice (3) The tank is returned upright and inverted again, this time I swirl it twice clockwise. (4) Once the tank is upright again I rap it twice on my worktop to remove air bubbles. I have always done this. Have I been missing something? Is there any good reason not to continue doing this?

2. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you are consistent with your methods and happy with your results, then you got it made! I usually miss a cycle somewhere along the line, trying to find my bottle of beer.

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One should never have consumable beverages in the dark room anyway. Picking up the wrong vessel in the dark or semi-dark can be very dangerous.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I figured that he loaded the film in a changing bag and was processing in the kitchen with the lights on. That way he could safely drink the beer and be close to the source.

Steve

5. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "I figured that he (...) was processing in the kitchen with the lights on. That way he could safely drink the beer and be close to the source."

Is there any other way???

Not sure of the real definition of "gentle agitation" either. I invert twice every 30 seconds, rap the tank on the table, give it a little turn...and have a sip of beer.

6. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My beer mug isn't shaped like any of my developing tools. Never have beer in the darkroom.... :rolleyes: more like never enter the darkroom without a beer.

7. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

8. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If I kept my selenium toner in a wine glass, I would worry.

9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But where else should one keep it:confused:

10. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I tend to do the drinking BEFORE developing or deciding to develop. I'm always surprised when I don't screw up :smile:

11. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since the thread has been hijacked to a downward path - one more:

W. Gene Smith was famous for printing all day with scotch at the elbow, works for me too, just not when I'm making really big prints with expensive paper, or developing important negs.

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Come on, Jim! There are at least four major safeguards built into having a glass of anything in the darkroom, so 'very dangerous' is something of an exaggeration.

(1) I can easily tell a wine or whisky glass -- or a coffee mug, if I drank coffee -- from a 600ml graduate; (2) the smell would warn me if I tried to sip from the graduate; (3) if I were absent minded enough to sip it, I'd spit it out before I swallowed it; and (4) even if I swallowed it, I couldn't keep it down anyway. I could add (5) that if I could keep it down, it would be a very small quantity of something that is not inherently very poisonous.

13. gainer

gainer Subscriber

I have seen a number of serious musicians ruin their careers by drinking before a concert to "steady their nerves". Those nerves are the same that ready a warrior for battle, and are best left on edge until the battle is won. It is more likely to be won if the drinking is reserved for celebration.

14. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well if they start producing graduates in thick and wide rimmed crystal glass and give the chems that West Coast peatiness then I am finished or confined to Speyside. To our U.S. members, that's the West Coast as in Islay and the big slur( eventually) not the Big Sur

A little humour goes a long way. In my case it has to.

pentaxuser