George Tice - BIG

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by bill schwab, Dec 30, 2006.

1. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was able to see and closely inspect some of the 20 x 24 platinum prints George Tice has begun offering recently. They are stunningly beautiful. I am told they were made by a printer in Belgium I believe. Anyone know who this is? They must be from big d-negs, but I took a loupe to them and saw nothing to give this away. If anyone knows who made these, I'd love to know.

If anyone gets a chance to see these in person, don't miss it.

BTW - They start at $6,000.00 each and I am told they are going fast.

Bill

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Bill,

you might email Ben Breard at www.afterimagegallery.com he is a long time rep for Tice and he may know the answer.

lee\c

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think the Belgian atelier that has recently been printing books for Lodima also does platinum printing. Could be them.

4. RAP

RAP Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    WOW New Jersey landscapes? I wonder if the Oak Tree, Holmdel, NJ is still standing? It may have been cut down to make way for development. His Urban Landscapes book is worth a look. All images of NJ. Some of the places he photographed you would need the National Guard or a full blown radiation suit for protection.

5. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

George Tice's platinum prints are made by Salto in Belgium. My wife, Paula Chamlee and I had platinum prints made by Salto and we introduced George to them. Salto also printed the book of George Tice's that we published. And we will be publishing another one. With it, we will be offering a special edition with a platinum print priced at 1/2 of the minimum that George's platinum prints go for--along with a slipcased signed and numbered book Full information will be posted soon at www.lodimapress.com.

The platinum prints. First, an original negative is scanned. Then 5 enlarged digital neagtives are made. The paper is double or triple coated and the neagtives are printed in register. The results are astounding. Salto has to be the best platinum printer in the world. I have had prints made from my 8x20 negatives one meter wide (15 x 39). Paula's prints are from 8x10 negatives and are 29 x 23 and are printed on handmade Taizan Japanese paper. These platinum prints are rich--black densities go to just over 2.0.

The team, a very small group of very dedicated people, at Salto is fantastic and they are fanatical about quality. We have them print our books. The only do 600-line screen quadtone. No other printer can do 600-line screen. Stochastic printing is not quite as fine. Their platinum printing atelier is amazing. They also have carbon printing, tri-color carbro, and dye-transfer ateliers, and in the past have done photogravure, though I do not think they are doing that at this time.

Because they are a very small team, their weak point is responding promptly. If anyone is interested in working with them, please contact me and I will intercede for you. One word of warning: they are expensive, but worth it if you care about the highest quality.

6. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Michael,

Isn't one of the group there Carl Fransman? Also I beleived they are housed in the site of the former Royal Psychiatric Hospital of Belgium
    Do they have a web site?

Thanks,
    Don Bryant

7. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Michael, Info much appreciated.

Bill

8. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

Carl Fransman, who is a good friend of ours, last worked at Salto in 2000. Since then Salto has undergone total reorganization. They are no longer at the old facility near Maastricht. They do not have a web site.

9. grnbrg

grnbrg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Gearge's prints can be seen until February 11 at Candace Dwan Gallery, 24 West 57 Street, New York.

10. timothyhyde

timothyhyde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw them at Susan Spiritus' gallery in Newport Beach. Stunning! I gather these will sell out, but a new set will be available (different images of course) before long.