Get a gallery showing?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by guitstik, Oct 12, 2011.

1. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am wanting to see how others go about securing a gallery showing. Years ago I received an offer for a showing but that was through the art school I was attending and as I said, long long ago. If you have had a showing lately, how did you go about it? Did you approach a curator with a portfolio of work and if so how did you put the portfolio together?

2. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That article was chock full of information but a little confusing on a definate answer. Is it saying you should or should not get representation? If you should get representation how would one go about doing so? I don't even know if my own personal work is good enough to warrant representation. I got the impression at the end of the article that I should open my own gallery and represent myself, hmmm.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a coherent portfolio of the work you want to exhibit together (even if it's still in progress), define what the works about and put a proposal together, the more you do to prepare the easier it os to get an exhibition.

The best spaces/galleries etc often book 2-3 even 4 years in advance so pre-planning is important.

Ian

5. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian, I am in the process of getting a large portion of my better shots printed but it is hard as I am my worst critic. What I would like to have is about 30 or 40 prints of my best work and then cull that down to about 25 of the very best for a portfolio.

6. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  7. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hadn't heard of those, thanks Greg.