Get my "G" to go topless

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by guitstik, Jul 5, 2010.

1. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if this is the correct way to go about this but I received my small grid glass for my Yashica Mat 124G and now I can not figure out how to get the hood off. I removed the three screws on each side that hold the brackets for the door but the hood still refuses to budge.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure quite what you unscrewed, on the 124 there's two screws either side of the screen holder, when removed you pull back slightly as you lift the waist level fonder off.

Ian

3. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahhhh, now I see those teeny tiny little screws... Damn, I don't have a screwdriver that small. This may present a problem, i had planned to go shot some scenery today with the new screen, oh well. Thanks Ian.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending your location (USA) you should be able to secure a set of small electronics screwdrivers from Radio Shack, or even one of the big box home remodeling places.

5. paul ewins

paul ewins Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The usual small screwdrivers have the wrong profile, you need JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) which grip a whole lot better. This page http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html explains it, please note I'm not endorsing the vendor, they're just the first hit I got on Google (and I don't endorse Google either).

6. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info Paul, I was going to get a set from RS but now i will hold off and order the correct set. I know from experience as a pistol smith that the right screw driver makes all the difference in the world. I'm also glad to hear that you are not a GP.
    By the way, do you know who is responsible for the JIP?

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What? Phillips' head screws are pretty standard. They make miniature versions as well. Take your camera with you and check the fit before you buy it. Radio Shack, Sears, True Value, someone will have them.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 4 screws we are talking about are nothing special, a cheap set of jewellers screwdrivers is more than sufficient.

Ian

9. paul ewins

paul ewins Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ian, while regular jewellers screwdrivers will work JIS ones work a lot better. If you have a screw that is partly seized you stand a good chance of destroying it with normal phillips head screwdrivers. The JIS ones fit much better and allow more force to be used. The difference is like using metric spanners on imperial bolts.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't realise phillips screwdriver could be used on a straight cut screw :D

Ian

11. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    An Asian friend once asked me if I had "a plus-turney thing." Took me a bit to figure out she meant a Phillips screwdriver.

12. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After WWII, W. Edward Deming, and American, went to Japan to help with the post war recovery. As a statistician, he taught the Japanese how to improve production through statistical quality control. He so impressed the people and changed the way of production that they now have the Deming Award of Excellence that is given to companies that excel. The JIP is a result of his work.