Get rid of FA, get F3?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by MikeTime, Oct 29, 2012.

1. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm wondering. I can get a pristine F3 body for a reasonable price, with a waist level finder to boot. Should I get that (and lose the "compact F" philosophy) and sell the FA with the shutter with a ringing sound to it?

I love the FA for its quirky place in Nikon model history, for its chunky feel, for it's grip, and hate the shutter sound, which no other Nikon I have has.

What do you all think?

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like the 'get F3' bit but don't understand the concept of 'get rid of FA' !!

Steve.

3. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's the "ringing shutter" thing... It annoys me. Might be a phenomenon particular to my FA.

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had the FA for a couple of weeks before I sold it. Didn't like it at all and to me the FA isn't compared to the F3. However, it seems that you like it a lot and I would not get rid of it and get the F3 just because the ringing shutter sound. I never got bothered by a shutter sound. I never owned or used a Hasselblad 500 series and I heard they said the shutter sound like the toilet plunger but that shouldn't matter. I have used for a short time the Hasselblad 2000FC but I guess due to its focal plane shutter and instant return mirror didn't make that kind of sound.

5. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yessir, ringing shutter, then dead shutter, in mid-roll, twice, two different bodies. No more love for FA here. Throw it out, get F2. (Yup, that's a two. :cool:)

6. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love my F3's and I'd certainly pickup a pristine one at a good price almost anytime.....I have 4. Just got an FA this afternoon and cannot wait to use it.

7. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1. While not a hoarder by any stretch, I have never been able to force myself - with the exception of an F4s, that took two attempts to find a new owner - to "get rid" of any of my Nikons (presently 12 in number). Why not? 1). The F6 (a recent purchase) is likely Nikon's last "pro" 35mm; 2). Good or better condition used bodies are growing harder to find (listings on ebay seem to be either "mint" (with extortionate price tags to match) or "users," (many of which look suspect); 3). I have found - and it just may be a personal quirk here - that I have come to prefer certain bodies (hence I keep specific cameras for specific purposes) for certain films (i.e. F6 and F5 for shooting chromes, and F3 and F2s for b&w); and 4). In other areas of my life, I have found that soon after selling something - thinking it was no longer needed...

8. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So 12 bodies is not considered hoarding? :blink::eek::eek:

I can definitely use this post for my own purpose LOL .....eyeing more FE

9. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get the F3 and keep the FA

10. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my F3 but if I had tried an F2 first the F3 would have never made it into my collection. Another vote for getting an F2 if you do not like the FA.

11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get the F3 and get rid of the waist-level finder. Do whatever you please with the FA.

12. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No...hoarding is when you need a map to navigate your way through your home!:D I prefer to think of my stash as having secured a lifetime supply of equipment!

13. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hoarding

So having 4 Nikon bodies, 6 Contax bodies (2 not working) and 2 Yashica bodies (1 not working) is not consiederd hoarding either?

I really have to give my therapist a call.

No comments on the ringing sound then? No, that's not in my ears, that's the shutter of the FA.

14. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Shutter sounds are crucially important to a camera. If the act of taking a picture is associated with an unpleasant noise it turns me off the camera straight away. There are some great cameras with peerless reputations that never leave my drawer because of shutter and other quirks. Taking a picture should feel nice in every way.

15. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Exactly my point. Once you've used a Contax RTSIII (the finest shutter I'ver ever experienced), you know what is possible and you know why you don't like some other specimens.

16. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before getting rid of the FA you might want to check out the shutter sound of the F3, the metering of the FA is much more advanced not always better just more advanced. The FA has a higher Flash sync speed and is a lot lighter. If you like the AE of the FA you might wanna try out a Nikkormat EL2 or a Nikon FE FE2 all three are smaller and lighter than the F3. If you prefer a manly shutter sound get an Nikon F best Nikon there is imho.

I wouldn't get rid of the FA it is a great camera, the F3 is another great camera but the earlier F and the F4 are often cheaper. The Viewfinder of the F with photomic FTN is very clean and simply superb so is the viewfinder of the F2AS.
    If you are a sound person try out all the cameras mentioned in this thread and get the one you feel most comfortable with both sound and handling.

Dominik

17. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @MDR: My collection of "compact F's" consists of an FM2n, FE2, FM3A and FA. I like them all, but I don't like the ringing sound of the FA's shutter.

The F3HP #1782*** is now sitting on my desk in pristine condition, with a fresh battery. Shutter sounds fine, exposure meter appears OK.

The FA will stay I guess.

18. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats on your purchase and your decision to keep the FA. And no it's not hoarding it's called being prepared.:smile:

Dominik

19. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ha ha! Yeah, sounds a lot better... Now, Grays of Westminster has some interesting F bodies...

20. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of the reasons I have duplicates of some bodies is simply cost. I've managed to purchase a few at costs that are near the cla cost of an existing unit. Recently purchased an F3 w/md4 for 166.00. F3 had just been cla'd and md4 was LN. Can't repair one of minefor that price.

21. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah. That's the ticket. Yeah, me too. :tongue:

22. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    And then lightning struck again. Ordered an "as new/unused" black F2 Titan from Grays...

Will it ever stop?

23. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    it will. order one more. (i assume you have two arms and two legs.)

:confused:

24. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome. As I mentioned above when I got my F2 I was floored. Through more than 30 years I'vwe used an FE2, FM2, F3, F80, N60 and N50 but was not ready for just how well built and terrific the F2 is. I call it the Leica of Nikons. The feel of the advance, the sound of the shutter, the all metal components, it screams out quality. I exaggerate I know but I love the F2. My FM2 and F3 are very jealous.

25. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looking forward... :smile: