Get the funk out!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just picked up a sweet little Olynous OM-1 & 3 lenses for a good deal.It's one of the origional OM's and everything works.
    The gear smells like it was stored in the belly of a Yak.A dead Yak.How can I get rid of this offensive odor?

2. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    maybe store it all with some silica gel for a while?

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Set it in a sunny place for a while, time and sun are the best healers of that affliction . I picked up a Yashica D that had been stored in a leather case and inside a leather gear bag. It took several months for that lovely aroma to finally dissipate.

4. RustedChrome

RustedChrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When I get used gear that reeks of tobacco smoke, I put it in a bag, in a warm spot with a few of those fabric softener sheets for the dryer. It seems to do the trick.

5. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    acetic acid eats odours. Freshly ground coffee too. put the camera in a box besides one bowl of one of those for a while, then switch to the other. coffee really is the better alternative. i've heard it makes a good brew too. not sure though, was a dodgy fellow who told me.

6. moki

moki Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nice... I'd like my cameras to smell like coffee and I guess coffee that shared a box with a nice camera would be even better :wink:

Storing it in a warm, sunny place for a while is what I do. Leave it open and without lens for a week if you don't need it right now and all the smell should be gone. Worked for me every time and I've had a few that looked and smelled like they've been stored in in a bag with an old sandwich for a few years.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you can probably use baking soda
    to absorb the smell, if you don't have any
    coffee around that is cheap enough to use as a
    de-smeller.

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The lingering odour of fag smoke around my Electro 35 gives it character

9. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This can be difficult. I once had to give up a Pentax ME SE because of its odor. I tried, for two weeks, various remedies (baking soda, vinegar, organic deodorizer, keeping it in a zip-lock bag, etc.), but nothing worked. Since then, I am always concerned about funky gear. However, since I buy about 99% of my gear from KEH, this has not been a problem. Only eBay items have been funky. Yet another reason why eBay "bargains" are really just "traps."

10. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Baking soda would be my first suggestion too. Lacking that, an ionizing air cleaner (especially one that makes ozone) will make short work of the odors.

11. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have used the coffee trick and found it works pretty well.

12. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks one and all.I have the leather on my front porch airing out.It gets direct sunlight for about 6 hours.If that fails I'll try dryer sheets and then coffee.

Mike

13. xxloverxx

xxloverxx Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Have you tried pure lemon juice, then some rubbing alcohol?

14. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've given up on trying to get the stink out of old leather. I tend to just get rid of the stuff because (IMO) its a breeding ground for fungal infestations. The only leather goods I will keep are branded items such as Leica or other quality name, then I still dont use the stuff, I display it seperately from the cameras and lenses.