Getting a Jobo, CPE2 vs CPA2 vs CPP2

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by mrtoml, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My ancient battered Jobo CPE2 (the old version with the dual speeds) looks like it is dying on me. The motor is starting to make strange noises and can hardly cope with larger drums. I am going to replace it as they seem very reasonable at used prices.

My thought is that I may take this opportunity to upgrade to one of the 'better' models, but I am not sure whether it is worth it. I mainly develop monochrome 120 and 35mm in 1500 series tanks, and occasionally 4x5 sheet film in the 2521 tank.

I have been thinking of starting C41 (mainly for use with XP2 after reading Way Beyond Monochrome). I don't shoot much colour or slide film, but do from time to time. Up to now I have been sending this stuff to a lab.

Is it worth getting a CPA2 or CPP2 instead? Is it worth having the lift (which I didn't have on my old CPE-2). From what I can gather searching many find the lift essential.

Thoughts welcome.

2. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The CPP2 is the largest of the units and would provide the greatest flexibility. The lift is mandatory only for the 'expert' series drums, but I find it most convenient, and once you use it you will wonder how you got along without it. The only caution there is the handle has been known to break off, so when running maximum load, I use the right hand to 'help' lift the drum to reduce stress on the handle.

Bob

3. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  4. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mark,

The biggest reason I can think of to get a CPA/CPP is the use of "Expert" drums.

Good shopping,

Neal Wydra

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ihave done colour negs and prints( up to 10x8 only) with my CPE2 without problems. The temp was adjustable fairly easily and stayed rock steady. Less than 0.2C degrees difference from one end of water bath to the other. Print chems' temp in the beakers remained absolutely steady.

I wondered about a CPP2 until I saw that one fetched £416 on e-bay recently. The seller had set a reserve of £400 and I thought that he'd have had no chance but there you are.

Not really pertinent to your post but if I had my time over again for colour printing, I'd be tempted to go for the much cheaper CPE2 for neg processing and a Nova Quad for printing where room temp and 35C printing is possible. It avoids all the faffing around with drums and pouring and decanting chems and finally drying said drum before beginning all over again.

Of course Nova Quads at 12x16 or 16x20 get expensive but it seems that at £416 for a CPP2 the Nova Quad and a CPE2 might not work out at any more.

It just struck me then that if this was the market price, it was an awful lot more money compared to CPE2 and CPA2 for relatively marginal improvements IMO.

pentaxuser

6. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're interested in trying a repair on the CPE2 I have been told the motor is a BMW automotive windshield wiper motor. I don't know this as fact but I would drag the CPE2 motor into a BMW parts department and see if they could match it. But then again, how much savings is there in BMW automotive part versus an newer Jobo?

7. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Still available?

Are you sure you can still buy a new CPP-2? Omega-Satter has stated that the CPP-2s and CPAs have been discontinued and are no longer available. B&H sold the last of their inventory for $3400.00 US. New lift attachments are still available at several stores.

9. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you can see this company is still advertising them and state that delivery is 5 days. They may of course just have the last remaining few or one!

Firstcall are a reputable company. I only just recently purchased equipment from them.

10. CCOS

CCOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, almost same "problem" herre, having a CPE2 the bought as used and not knowing how long it will last, I looking into building one my self.
    I will use a old printermotor, a stepmotor a simpel driver to control it an haveing total control of the motor( direktion, speed, time) from the PC. Also include a waterpump for circulation and a more exact temp. and a heating element that can be controled hopefully from the PC.
    I'll be useing the attatchment to the JOBO drums from the Old.
    Found that a new or old is to expencive... and like the challenge to build a my own.

Jesper

11. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all your advice. Firstcall in the UK still do parts for Jobos and sell the new cpe2 and cpp2 units. I have bought a couple of parts from them recently (rollers and such). They also have spare parts for LPL enlargers which I have taken advantage of. More useful even is the fact that when you call them they actually know what you are talking about...

I think I will look for a used cpa2+lift. I agree the the cpp2 seems a lot of extra cash for little gain over the cpa2.

12. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good luck with this project. Please keep us posted of progress.

13. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have a CPA2, and when it died I got a CPP2. The CPP2 has an advantage if you change temperatures, but if you always process at the same temperature the CPA2 works fine, once you get it adjusted. I drilled a hole near the well that holds the graduates so I could insert a dial type thermometer into the water bath. It made adjustment a lot easier. The CPP2 dials give fairly accurate and very consistent adjustments, although you should check the temperature with a thermometer when you set the machine up, just to make sure it works right and to know the offset, if any. The only advantage of the CPA over the CPE was size - it could take big drums for big prints. The lift mechanism is always optional. It is a convenience, but the handle is weak and breaks easily. With a broken handle, the lift becomes difficult.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Frank Szabo

Frank Szabo Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not the handle with mine (CPA machine), but the mechanism inside - sounds like a stripped gear - handle won't return to position.

Going to rip into it this pm and see what I can find in there.

16. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wasn't Jobo going to restart manufacturing the CPP2? Or did I dream it? Someone straighten me out, please! I feel stupid calling Omega-Satter...

17. docted

docted Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    jobo cpe-2 roller

I bought a used Jobo CPE-2 that came without rollers. If you decide to scrap yours, I would offer to buy the rollers. I could use a lift as well. Thanks.
    Ted

18. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Jobo is actually still running so I haven't replaced it yet.

You can buy new rollers fairly cheaply. That's what I did as mine came with the wrong size for the tanks I use.

20. docted

docted Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone. The rollers at B&H cost $49 (US), plus $30 shipping to Canada, plus exchange rate. In total it would cost over $100 (CDN) which I think is a bit high for a pair of plastic wheels.

21. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ouch :surprised: . I don't remember mine costing that much, but to be honest I can't remember now exactly how much they were.

22. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one of these in my shed (I think, not sure of the exact model. I think its CPE-2). I have the lift as well. If you want it for parts you can have it for the cost of postage.

I will check out exactly what I have tonight.

If you just want the motor, I can send that on its own.

Steve.

23. epavelin

epavelin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am also in the market for a CPE2 lift if anyone has a spare one they don't need.

Ed.

24. docted

docted Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Jobo CPE-2

Thanks Steve,
    I'll take whatever you have, shipped to Canada.
    I will pay you shipping charges plus whatever you feel reasonable for your effort.
    Without the rollers, the processor is useless.
    Ted Laszlo
    Guelph, Ontario (near Toronto).

25. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My offer was intended to be for the original Poster (Mark Tomlinson). I will send him a PM (unless he answers here) and give him the first option.

If he isn't interested, I will find out how much shipping to Canada will cost. I'm in the UK so it may not be cost effective.

I have just had a look at it. It's a CPE2 Plus and I have the CPE Lift as well. I have never used it. It has been in my shed for about four years and it was in my father's shed for a few years before that.

I believe it was working before it retired to a life of shed dwelling but I can't guarantee that, or that it is complete.

It may clean up fine and work properly or it may be a good source of spares.

If I get the time, I will clean it up and post some pictures.

Steve.

26. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, is this CPE 2 still available ?