Getting hold of X-Ray film

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by MamiyaJen, Jul 2, 2012.

1. MamiyaJen

MamiyaJen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd like to get hold of some x-ray film for my cyanotypes and I remember my tutor telling me it was both easy to get hold of and relatively cheap but I'm finding that not to be the case. All i can find within my budget is from America. Does anyone know anywhere in the UK where i can find it at preferably less that £100?

Alternatively, if anyone can give me some info on making cyanotypes from my 6x7 negs that doesn't include either scanning and printing digitally or using x-ray film it would be greatly appreciated.

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just make cyanotypes directly from your negatives?

As for X-ray film; I got a bunch for very cheap on eBay. You might even have luck with a few well placed calls to local dentists office, medical supply or doctors offices. It's worth a shot; they might have a freezer full of old films in the back!

3. MamiyaJen

MamiyaJen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    holmburgers; if i did that how would i go about enlarging them?

4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, well I didn't know you wanted them bigger than that... sorry!

People do use paper negatives sometimes, but your exposures will be super long, and not to mention, you still need to get a negative on paper which will require some kind of extra step anyways.

I think what you want (ideally) is x-ray duplicating film, which will make a neg from a neg, pos from a pos.

5. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    I wonder if Ilford has given any thought to coating the emulsion used in their direct positive paper on to film. Seems like it would fill a niche left unfulfilled by the current selection of products. I know I'd buy it!

6. tomharrison

tomharrison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been searching for a suppler of xray film in the UK and have come up with these guys... www.veterinaryxrays.co.uk

Or more specifically...

http://www.veterinaryxrays.co.uk/xray-accessories/film-and-chemistry/film-0

They don't have an online store, but if you contact them via email they'll get back to you with prices / ordering info. When I last looked into this they were offering 100 sheet boxes of 18x24cm for £47.50 (ex VAT, I think...), although that was back in April, so their prices may have changed.

Hope that helps!
    Tom.

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    find kodak or fuji direct duplicating xray to make enlargements...works quite well. you cans search here for info on exposure and dev
    best, Peter