Getting ready for another Freestyle order, you want in?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by SteveR, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Evening all. I'm slowly gearing myself up to place an order for some film from Freestyle, thought I'd throw it out there again in case anyone wants to jump in and save the communal purse some postage costs. I'll probably be placing it in the next couple of weeks, or earlier if someone has need to get an order through quickly.

Cheers,
    Steve

2. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll probably jump in seeing as the dollar is so good and I'm half way through the last order...

3. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too. Same reason.

4. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This sounds good, ive been on the edge of buying some more film for a while now :smile:

5. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great, well, if anyone has any pressing deadlines, let me know, otherwise I'll hold off a few more days or so before collecting shopping lists.

6. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm interested, was thinking about getting some neg sleeves & proofing paper. Should we PM you the items we're interested in or post here when you're ready?

7. cluttered

cluttered Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tempting, but I probably won't be able to partake of this order, hopefully a future one. I'm keen to get a large quantity of Ilford FP4 and probably some Provia, I see that both B&H and Freestyle have great prices for Ilford products, but I'm nervous about the risks of shipping film from overseas; is x-ray or temperature a significant concern for ordering from overseas, compared with local purchase?

8. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have bought film from Freestyle on several occasions, including Delta 3200, with never the slightest hint of x-ray or heat damage.

9. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Michael, once everyone's on board we'll move over to pm or email, easier to keep track of updates that way (I find, anyway).

'cluttered', I've been getting film and paper (and some chemicals) from OS for years and never had an issue. I'll be getting a couple 100sh boxes of FP4 as well, so they can always keep yours company, safety in numbers and all that :tongue:

10. ChrisN

ChrisN Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Steve - might be worth checking the prices at B&H. My last couple of orders went to B&H as the prices on (mostly Ilford products) were better and the postage charge was cheaper too.

Chris

11. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the heads-up Chris, I haven't ordered anything from B&H in years, just because it's all worked out marginally cheaper at Freestyle, but once we get an idea of our shopping list I might pop over there too and compare prices.

12. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, I'm impressed! Thanks Chris, I just had a quick look on B&H, thinking "how different can the prices really be?", while postage seems about the same (for International Priority at least), 2x100sh box of FP4 came in nearly $60 cheaper from B&H! Wow :blink:

13. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What i was looking at came out cheaper also :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H can be cheaper, however be aware they will be closed from April 18th to 28th for Passover. Orders need to be in by this Sunday at the latest. Also, if it's the first time you're ordering from them you might have to send them a separate scan of your credit card, if that's how you're paying.

16. cluttered

cluttered Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thankyou to the various people who have reassured me about heat/x-rays, it's good to know that all should be well. Hopefully I'll take advantage of the strong AUD soon and buy a large amount of consumables.

17. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ummm......sorry if I am a fly in the ointment, but if it's to be B&H then I'm out. I don't have anything against B&H, it's just that my order includes Arista film, which I don't think is sold by B&H. I looked at B&H's web site today and it doesn't seem to be there. (I do know that Arista is one of Freestyle's house brands, but it is also sold by some others.)

18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What!?
    You'll send them a "scan of your credit card" !? I hope not by email... :confused:

I am interested if the order goes to Freestyle, not B&H, as I've already 'carted' an order on hold pending deliberations.
    Film clears Customs without X-Ray, so long as it clearly labelled as such. The order will be smooth and quick if it is restricted to just film, and not chemicals, paper and other stuff.

19. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I had to do a similar thing the first time I ordered from Freestyle, and KEH for that matter. They wanted a copy of my card faxed, had no end of trouble getting the fax to them though, so I just scanned the card, blocked out some pertinent details (ie, last half of the number and the expiry) and emailed it. No drama's at all, but I was a little hesitant at first.

20. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    do you want shopping lists yet? :smile:

21. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alright, sorry guys, I am around, just got a baby taking up a bit of time at the moment (selfish little things that they are...).

For my order, I've decided I'm going to go with B&H, can't knock a further $60 saving! If you're interested in anything from there, zap me over a pm, all going well I will try to get the order off this afternoon. Like Gary said, if we keep it to film, it could come through a whole lot quicker, and possibly cheaper on the postage front (ie, smaller package footprint than if we start throwing papers in).

Zap me a PM with your email address and shopping list and we'll continue from there via email. Depending on the size of your shopping lists, I may need to ask for payment to be sent through to me straight away, usually I've just worn it until the goods arrive and we work out the local postage costs in divvying it up, but again, new family additions have reduced the amount of floating cash I can grab without transferring dosh around.

Just to make sure I don't jump the gun and miss anyone (because I realise this is a bit of late notice, saying I'll send it off this afternoon), if you've expressed interest here, but do not wish to jump on board with an order to B&H, just pop in to let us know, so we know you've decided not to order, as opposed to not seeing this message and getting left behind!

Thanks guys, have a great weekend.

Steve

22. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve, I'll not a place a order this time so go ahead without me.

23. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No worries Michael, thanks for letting us know

24. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Drawing up manifest...:smile:

25. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent! :smile:

26. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the asking Steve, but I'll pass this time for reason aforesaid.