Getting ready to do something embarrasing

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EricO, Aug 22, 2011.

1. EricO

EricO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of my photographer friends wants to take a look at my RZ67 because he's crazy about old equipment so I'm going to take it out to a restaurant. It's going to have a few extras attached like a Metz handle mount flash and a winder. Maybe I'll put it all on a dolly. Which is more embarrasing? Having a dolly in a restaurant or having the RZ out in public? Should I call the whole thing off? This is just insane right?

2. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I take my RB67 out in public all the time. I don't need a dolly to move it as the left handed flash bracket is enough for me to hand hold it. I was going to make a joke about guys and dolls but then thought better of it...

3. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's embarrassing about that? The bigger the camera, the cooler you look.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why would you be embarrassed by your camera gear? I carry my gear proudly where ever I go in public, Mamiya C-330 or C-220. I even carry a funky gear bag over my shoulder. There is something terribly wrong if you are embarrassed by your camera, harumph.

5. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Like others have said, why be embarrassed? Be proud of your analog gear; it shows to the world that you're not just another "spray and pray" digital photographer :smile:

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Carry around a 4x5 press camera and watch the jaws hit the floor.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  7. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    you'll prolly pick up heaps of chicks with it.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those big old cameras are embarrassing enough to just own it! Send it to me and I'll keep it for you and save you from eternal shame.

9. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do... So much so that sometimes it's hard to actually use the thing between the impromtu public seminars. But that negative makes it worthwhile. You know that old saying "Nothing beats cubic inches?" Well, just remove one dimension.

Hmm... "Chicks" by units of volume. Still waiting for that part to happen...

Ken

10. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I not only take that to the restaurant; I take the model too.

11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sounds like a fun dinner!

12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just look purposeful and self-absorbed. Beats the Jedi mind trick any day.

13. AlexCave

AlexCave Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try shooting an import model with an RZ. most models know nothing about cameras, so the cooler and bigger your camera looks, the more interest you'll get out of models. not just models but women in general always love an old camera. I've brought my hasselblad just to get coffee before!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    My girlfriend HATES all my old cameras. I think she's jealous.

16. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just do it.
    I'd avoid the dolly, but if you think it's necessary use it.

I'm fairly shy, but showing a camera to a friend over dinner woudn't bother me. No different, really, than showing off your new smart phone/watch/laptop/whatever.

17. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nothing to be embarrassed about,
    unless you have to bring the pack-mule inside

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's sad.

My fiance LOVES my old cameras. It was her interest in art that rekindled my interest in photography, and she nearly flipped (in a good way) when she saw my Technika III. Many of her artistic friends seem to ooh and aaah over it too, as well as my Yashica Mat 124.

Sometimes I get tired of it, but for the most part I enjoy it. I like those who appreciate old cameras and think they're cool. I'm less enthused by those asking bone headed stupid questions. A guy this weekend asked about my Yashica, "so what's the deal with it?" "Huh? What do you mean?" "Why does it have two lenses, and look like that?" "Well it looks like that partly because it has two lenses, and also because things looked cooler back when it was designed. It has two lenses because one forms the image on the film and the other is for viewing..." Another friend I was showing it to really thought the ground glass image was electronically generated. After I explained the viewing lens, mirror and ground glass she thought it was extremely cool.

Just take the camera and bask in the attention.

19. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shoot with my RZ in public all the time. It sure does get a lot of attention. First people are surprised that film is still being made. Then they think it's a turn-of-the-century kind of camera. Still, it also gets a ton of respect from other photographers. Once in Santa Monica CA a stranger came up to me and wanted to hire me on the spot to take some scenic shots of the ocean for him. His logic was if I were usising such a camera, then I must be good! :laugh:

20. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do it!

I shoot my RZ handheld in public all the time. It gets plenty of notice and attention. Most people are inquisitive and somewhat impressed, I think. They are definitely appreciative, usually. At an airshow recently, it got tons of notice since I had the 500/6 APO mounted up and was shooting it handheld. That was a heavy rig.

21. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's embarrassing is taking my 8x10 out for a walk in my two-child bike trailer. Neighbour thought we'd had grandkids without telling them. :blink:

22. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I'm out with The Oldies, people always seem to ask if I am a photographer.
    I usually tell them that, I want to be a photographer, when I grow up ...

Ron

23. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Hilarious. You must look a right tool taking it all out. :whistling:

24. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a bizarre question. "No, I'm a fisherman." Huh?

It's like people asking, "can you still get film for that?" while I'm shooting. I'm tempted to say, "no, I just like pretending."

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somehow I don't think the OP has ever worked as a wedding photographer:wink:.

Tell them it is your new portable computer :smile:.

Just take it along with a largish bag and most people will understand it is a camera.

It certainly isn't much bigger than a Canon 7D with a flash and expensive zoom lens.

You should be fine as long as it isn't one of those silly places where the tables are so small there is barely room for the plates!

26. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you??? :confused:
    I've never actually measured or weighed my 8x10 case, but I'm sure when I lug it around I look like someone trying to dispose of a body. (only slightly less embarrassing) It was only after getting my Grover that I realized that Brett Weston was right. This is a camera that was never meant to be taken out of the studio. Now at least I can get my gear out to virtually any place you can cart a pair of three year-old twins. :D