Give a 10 year old a pinhole camera and this is what you get.

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Matthewt, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Matthewt

Matthewt Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    These 4 shots were made by my 10 year old son with a Daylab Pinhole Camera. I loaded it with Polaroid 665 film and off we went. I taught him how to read a light meter and look on the conversion chart for the exposure for the pinhole. Also, he cleaned and fixed all the negatives. I think I might be teaching him the right way. I hope you all enjoy them as much as I do.

Attached Files:

2. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hope HE enjoyed himself?

3. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Impressive for hime to do all that on his own. Good teacher I suspect.

I like the brick wall shot.

4. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Very nice !!!

I really like the Ford truck and the wagon wheel.

cheers

5. rhphoto

rhphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    He is a natural. His sense of framing and texture is remarkable for one that age. I saw the title of your thread and was curious - now I think I know what you meant: "Give a 10 yr old a pinhole camera and watch him blow the rest of us out of the fixer".

6. Matthewt

Matthewt Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thank you for your replies. He was thrilled when we got home and he saw the negatives. Then when we made the prints he was even more thrilled. It all started today when he asked me if we could go and shoot some pics. He asked if he could learn about the pinhole camera. I fell over when he asked because my father has been teaching him all about digital and photoshop. Maybe I can steer him away from digital now. I guess he didn't think that a box with a hole you can barely see can make a photograph. I think I have a new analog shooter here. We will see.

7. Clueless

Clueless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a lucky boy to have a Grandfather/mentor and a Father/mentor, almost Rockwellian. Lets hope it doesn't end in newspaper headlines, "Grandfather wants equal time to teach grandchild Digital, while father wants to teach analogue". Family court will decide time division. 58 years ago my father gave me a 127 Kodak reflex and a "ABC" developing outfit but no mentoring. I've continued on my own, but sorely missed the mentoring

8. janvanhove

janvanhove Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Kids these days...

Who said they were tv-and video-game-o-holics with no imagination...
    Always nice to see kids interested in low-tech stuff from time to time.

PJ

9. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    looks like he has a natural eye. Good job to both of you.

Pete

10. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt, very impressive shots. Hope you don't get him a Holga for Christmas! tim

11. Matthewt

Matthewt Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thank you all again for your replies. My Son said thank you very much for your comments. I love you comment Clueless. Very funny. It is funny that you mention the Holga. I have one and he has one as well. He wouldn't shoot with it. Again, the Digital Grandfather got to him. I think I can get him behind the Holga after yesterday. I am trying to convince him to use film. He stated to me that "You used digital". Which I did, at one time. I told him that I learned from my mistake. I also told him to "do as I say, not what I do". :smile: I don't mind him learning from my Father. I think it is great. But, I flat refuse to teach him Digital. I wish you all a great day and thanks again for your kind comments. Maybe I will put some of his work in the APUG Sales Gallery at a later date. That ought to teach him that Film sells better than digital.