Giving up my Nikon f100?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bed_hugs, Mar 22, 2013.

1. bed_hugs

bed_hugs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey guys! newbie to the forum here. Just wanted to ask your opinion something I've been mulling over in my head. I have a nikon F100 that I love and have had some great shots with, but It's size gets in the way for me. I'm a college student and I don't want to lug it around all the time with my schoolbag. As you guys know, there's no point in having the camera if I never have it around to shoot with haha.

Point is, I've been eyeing this little Olympus om2n w/50 1.8 at my local camera shop. It's in near mint condition and at about $100 it's not out of my price range, plus I can still pick up a couple other lenses on KEH for pretty cheap. I've been thinking about selling my f100 and just buying it since it's so damn small compared to what I've been using. Seems like it'd be a nice match for me. what do y'all think?

thanks you guys

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's really a personal thing. I can't tell you to eat oranges if you don't like'em! I have THREE F-100 because I like them so much. It's big and rather heavy but not too bad.

Olympus are fine cameras. I had an OM10 way back in my youth. Are you sure you'll want to give up all the automation and go back to pretty much everything manual? No auto focus, no matrix metering, no auto winding without winder attachment, etc, etc, etc? If so, go right ahead....

Another thing... if weight and size of F100 bothers you, any decent SLR isn't going to be THAT much lighter and smaller. To me, it doesn't make any practical difference.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could just pick up a Nikon EM or FG and it would work as a second body with your Nikon lenses that you already own. The 50/1.8E is very small and would make a very small package.

The EM lacks full manual mode but is so tiny and easy to use, you may not care. I had onw for awhile and I quite enjoyed it.

4. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you already using the smallest possible lens? Like a 50 1.8 AF, the 50/1.8 series E mentioned above, or something like that? There's always the FG- lighter than an OM, and the market is flooded with them.

5. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi! Welcome!
    If you really like that OM2-N, than go for it!
    But, if you want to retain use of your Nikon lenses, how about a F80 or a even smaller, lighter and very nice F75?

6. bed_hugs

bed_hugs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well the camera originally came with a 24-85 zoom, but I got rid of that and just bought a nifty fifty. I didn't buy glass after that since that's all I really needed for the shots I like to take. Switching to a whole new system wouldn't really hurt as far me having lenses left over

7. bed_hugs

bed_hugs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think I'd mind going back to manual from all the automation. The only thing I'd miss is the 1/8000 shutter speed but even then I rarely use it.

8. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Olympus XA?

9. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have both a Nikon F100 and Nikon F80's and when I go out on the motorcycle it is nearly always the F8 that comes with me. Sure it is nearly all plastic, but what isn't these days. The metering is more or less the same as the F100, in a smaller and much lighter body. Don't forget the Olympus OM2n is going to be AT LEAST 30 years old and they don't last forever. Stick with Nikon and you have all you want.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was going to post exactly the same advice. The FG is a great body in a compact size. Very similar in size to the OM.

If you want small, look at the Pentax MX.

Steve.

11. phirehouse

phirehouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the N75, (F75). super light, great meter and will work with full-frame VR glass.

12. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Om2n with a 50mm 1.8 is a great combination. OM2 is aperture priority auto and is an advanced off the film system that works well. Its hundred bucks. A fair price if it comes with a little warranty. Get it, use it, keep the F100 for now. Make the decision which to keep once you have used the OM2 for a while. GAS says unless you need the $$ desperately you'll keep both anyway!

13. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you wanted to stay with Nikon, you could take a look at the FE/FM series. They are smaller bodies that are mostly manual, although certain models offer autoexposure.

If you do move to Olympus, you'll be buying into a system that is highly regarded by its users. The bodies are well made, and the OM-2 uses S76/LR44 batteries.

All Japanese cameras from the 1980s and earlier will need new foam seals, which are simple to replace.

The Olympus was a full-system camera with a huge selection of lenses, winders, motor drives, dedicated flash units and more. The OM-2 also has a sophisticated metering system. You will need to get used to having the shutters-speed dial at the base of the lens, but if you shoot mostly in automatic, it's not a big issue.

It's aperture-priority, so you'll want to keep an eye on your shutter speeds as you shoot.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't have an F100 but I do have an F5, F3HP with motor drive, FM and an Olympus OM-2n. I don't feel going from say the F5 or F3 with motor which is a big and heavy package down to the OM-2 would make it that much easier to carry around. When I need a camera to easily carry around I have to use something like the Olympus XA. Because although smaller, the OM-2 is still not pocketable.

16. one90guy

one90guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will 2nd the FG, I bought one about a year ago. I get great results from it.

David

17. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you are overthinking... the OM isn't that small. IF you ever decide to do some flash photography the Nikon and SB series flashes are the only automation I ever found worth a damn. That system would properly expose "chromes" in your sleep.

18. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    One trick you may want to consider is lithium batteries in the F100. The F100 is heavier than the OM but a lot of that is the motor drive and the AA batteries - which are also reasons to adore the thing. AA Batteries are everywhere. But the lithium batteries are lighter, so that saves weight. Can't do much about size though. The F100 is just bigger.

19. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep the Nikon F100! If you want smaller, save up for a Voigtlander Bessa type rangefinder camera such as Bessa R3A or R2A.

20. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used an FG through college and I'd like to get another for when I don't want to drag the motorized F3HP around. It's a great camera that's very easy to use at eye-level (I love the metering display on this camera!). I used the TTL flash for lots of work, including macro, with great results. It's not quite a pocket camera, but it's definitely smaller than the F100 (which I've also owned). The only major things missing on the FG are AE lock, DOF preview, and a PC connection for external flash sync. The first two are mostly convenience features in my opinion; the external flash connection is easily addressed with a $10 part. Unless your 50mm is a G lens (no aperture ring), it should be perfect for the FG.

Having said all this, I've also used the OM2n. I sold one once for a friend, and of course I tried it all out first. I almost bought that kit myself, it was very nice and I found the flash system perfectly usable. If you like it, get it!

21. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a N90s (roughly equivalent to F100 size/bulk) and OM bodies. I prefer the OM due to it's smaller size; though these older eyes prefer the AF.

But if you plan to carry an SLR with only the 50mm lens on an everyday basis, keep the F100 and buy an older RF with a 1.7-1.9 lens (Canon, Olympus, Minolta). You lose nothing and you gain a 2nd camera with complementary capabilities.

22. bed_hugs

bed_hugs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I really like this idea but now all you've done is make me want a rangefinder haha

23. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would sell nothing and have them all; which, I do.Each one has its use.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  24. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Pumalite said. Keep the F100 and get the Oly as a second camera. Decide next year. Or not.

Personally I would add an N80; it has all the features of the F100 without the size and bulk. And they're newer than the OM2N by, um, 20 years or so.

25. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't switch systems if not forced to. It usually costs a lot and gains little. You have a camera which is part of a large, extensive system with all options one could think of. Yes, the OM2 is less bulky than your F100 (owned both) but neither is a camera to always have in your pocket, nor is a Bessa. I'd look for a nice compact to supplement your F100.

26. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon FGs and FG-20s are dirt cheap and lightweight. They also offer metered manual and AE