Glass Cutter for Cutting Glass Plates

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Jeremy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm going to embarking into the world of glass plates soon and since I've got a bunch of extra glass in the closet (if it's the right thickness) I'm looking at getting a glass cutter. Any suggestions? I've got about 15 sheets of glass from 16x20 to 20x24 that were given to me as they are chipped on the edges.

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeremy,

I use a pencil type oil bath cutter with a tungsten carbide wheel in it, they are the best I have found for cutting glass, and believe you me, I have tried a ton of them, I wear one of these out about every three months, I just ordered 6 of them, which was more than I needed, I would be happy to sell a couple of them if you want.

Dave

3. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have a Logan mat cutter, they make a glass cutter attachment.
    juan

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jason,

i go to a glass company.
    they will do it quickly and ( at least around here ) cheeply ..

john

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Jeremy,

Just come up to Montana, and I can wip them out for you with no problem at all!

:D

Dave

6. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeremy,

I use one like this and it works great.

7. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd second Kerik's suggestion and might also recommended a "Morton Surface" or/or jig (http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/c-tools/morton.htm) if you are going to be cutting a lot of glass. I plan to acquire one of these surfaces for cutting my wetplate stock. It really helps contain the chips and allows for even pressure when cutting the glass. If you get a small chip underneath the plate and it will break curved. The glass I'm cutting costs $15/square foot so the jig will pay for itself almost immediately.

Joe

8. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Joe,

What type of glass are you buying that is $15 a square, I would be interested..

Thanks

Dave

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kerik

That is the same type I use, I just use the pencil style instead of the pistol grip, they are good cutters.

Dave

10. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dave,

It is a deep purple transparent glass imported from Germany, or at least that is what the stained glass shop is telling me. It is smooth on one side and has a slight pattern on the reverse.

The retail price is triple what the same shop charges for Spectrum Black Smooth Cathedral glass sheets. That price per sf is the price buying bulk 2x3 foot sheets.

I'm using it for ruby ambrotypes. I'd like to find a cheaper alternative but the other purple glass I've seen doesn't compare.

The effect on the ambrotypes is subtle, but I think worth the extra cost and I can pass it along should I ever sell one of them. And, I can always recoat the glass if I screw up the plate. That doesn't carry over to screwing up while cutting the glass down though.

Joe

11. Joe VanCleave

Joe VanCleave Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I've cut glass for stained glass work, and the oil immersion wheel cutter pencil type works well. I'd also recommend the glass pliers along with the cutting pencil, to snap the glass along the score. These can both usually be attained at local stained glass shops.