Glass for a Light table

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by markrewald, Nov 11, 2012.

1. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got a sweet deal on a very large light 38" x 28" - Free. It needs a new piece of glass for the top. My guess is they were using it as a tracing table and cutting on it so the glass is pretty scratched. Easily fixed. I would like to get the right kind of glass for it, if there is such a thing. The glass is pretty thick and heavy (about 1/4in). Anyone have a recommendation for a type of glass to put in? I was thinking of going to a framing shop and seeing what they had - maybe get some of the high end anti-glare stuff. I imagine it is going cost me a pretty penny! If I can get by with regular pane of glass that would be a cost saver but I would rather have what is suppose to be in there.

Thanks!
    Mark

2. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd think you'd want something frosted, better translucent, to even out the light like on a commercial light table. I'd go to a window glass shop and see what they have.....maybe bring a flashlight with you to see how well it diffuses.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The glass you need is called "Flashed Opal" and they sell it at good glass merchants who will cut it to size for you..

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Mark said, you can find frosted glass at places that cuts window panes. I couldn't go for anti-glare because it'll be frosted anyway and back lit. I've seen home made ones that size and they all used plastic, not glass.

5. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the fast responses. I will check out the window glass shop and see what they can do for me.

Thanks again!

6. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I Googled Flashed Opal glass and that's not what I need. The light table came with a acrylic frosted backing already. So I just need the glass. Would just some tempered glass work?

7. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Can you flip it over, or have they already scratched both sides?

8. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What about just using a sheet of acrylic? You should be able to get one from your local hardware store in either clear or white for cheap. If you want to get fancier you could look at something like lexan.

9. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have color balanced tubes and color rendition is critical, use acrylic. Glass can cause a green shift in color.

10. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks again guys! Wonderful responses!

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Opaque perspex is the ideal material. If you go into a framing shop, frosted UV-retardant glass is sometimes available (personally I have seen this on two home made light boxes illuminated by 8 banks of high intensity white LEDs), but it is not as good or practical in use as perspex. The light must be diffused or it will create eye fatique.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is a Nuarc light table, there is a separate diffuser and the top glass is not frosted. When I replaced mine I went to a window glass shop and got 1/4" and ask to have the edges beveled and the corners slightly rounded.

13. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is the one I got. Not sure if it is Nuarc light table or not, but you describe it how it is set up. I am concerned about the cost of a piece of glass that size (38x28x.25). I will stop off at a framing shop I know and get an estimate.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Framing shops are expensive. You may want to look up a glass shop instead, they usually are cheaper and will bevel the sharp edges.

16. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Please let us know what they say.

17. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1/4" at a frame shop?
    Try the glass shop, it should be much more reasonable and they'll be more familiar with thick glass.
    Glass is available as "water clear" Think in terms of extra dollar signs.

18. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    +1

19. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stopped off at a glass place quoted me $134 for 28x38x.25. That was plain tempered glass. Not bad.

20. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not bad, bet you aren't going to go at it 8 hours a day with X-Acto knives like the former owner...

21. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    previous owner was a graphics artist person who switched to all digital production. So I am guessing they used it as a tracing table. The thing was a bugger to haul home. But I am certainly going to enjoy using it over the little 11x8 thing I have now!

Though the future wife rolled her eyes big time when I brought it home. She just doesn't understand these things. :smile:

22. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went through a Printing Technologies at our local junior college to get a degree in desktop publishing. it was 20 years ago and they were slowly getting rid of their light tables, stat cameras and darkroom. A couple of years earlier, they were teaching courses in stripping. Back then, highly trained printers were able make negs to burn printer plates. I'm sure that skill in plate making is a lost art. Some print shops go direct to plate without even using image setter negs to burn the plate.

23. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have seen some course work art one of the art colleges around Denver that do that sort ofprint making with negs and burning plates. That looks like a lot of fun. Something I probably would find very difficult to do in my garage and the Mrs. wondering why she can't park her car in the garage because there is a printing press in her spot. Would be an interesting sell...

24. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Old offset litho is probably dead. The strange thing is that letter press is coming back in some circles. Martha Stewart is a fan.

25. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i used a piece of milky plexiglass for a similar-size table. by the way mine is available for freeif you are willing to to comepick it up too.

26. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a similar deal on a large light table, my wife helped me haul it home though.