Glass for Canon AT-1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received this camera last week as a birthday gift.A total surprise as it was given from someone with absolutely no photography background (me mom).
    It came with a nice 50mm 1.4 and clunky Vivitar 80-200.Would owners of this shooter please advise me of some nice (affordable) FD glass.

Thanks

2. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have started well with the 50mm 1.4. I would add a 28mm 2.8 or 35mm F2 for wides and a 100mm 2.8 or 135 2.5 for the teles. These are a good starting point, available quite cheaply and will all deliver quality photos.

Have fun with the Canon.

Tony

3. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Tony.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is the Vivitar the old Series I lens? That's actually supposed to be a good lens, as far as zooms go, but I haven't owned it myself.

I'll second the recommendation for the 35/2.0. That's a very nice lens. I had one for a while.

5. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mike,

I've had an A-1 with FD glass for many years although I no longer use it. My primary use lens was the very nice (but heavy) 35-105 f3.5 (I believe there's a f3.5-4.5 version that is not as good). I also used the 24 f2.8 (a noticeably wider lens than the 35 and good for landscape work - the 28 is probably a good step between the two but I never felt the need for it) and also have a 100-300 f5.6 (which I don't recommend - if you have the Series I Vivitar, that's a much better lens)

Dan

6. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish the Vivitar was a SeriesI.
    It's not.

7. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think the well regarded series I zoom is a 70-210.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Mike,
    I've used Canon FD glass for over twenty years, and have the 50mm 1.4 that you have, it was something of an industry standard in Its day and highly recommended.
    It's difficult to know what other specific lenses to suggest without knowing what your photographic interests are, but generally speaking FD lenses are great glass available cheap at the moment.

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My own experience with FD lenses has been very positive, starting with the 135 f3.5 that I found at a yard sale for $5. I bought a body for it and, well, suffice it to say that I haven't stopped picking up related bargain lenses yet. I have found this site to be really helpful. Good luck with the AT. I see more Canon bodies and a drawer full of lenses in your future.

10. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link Whiteymorange.

11. Jeffrey S. Winn

Jeffrey S. Winn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've had the Vivitar 80-200 f 4.0 and it actually performs well. I'm sure that there are other lenses in this range that produce better results, but this isn't a bad lens. It is a little soft, but does ok for some quick shots. I highly recommend the Canon FD 100mm f 2.8. I bought one of these several years ago, and I'm constantly impressed with the results. It is small, light and spends a lot of time on my camera. You can pick up one of the 100mm lenses for anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks. The Canon FD 300mm f4.0 is a good lens as well. I'm told that the "L" version is better, but I'm happy with my lens. I bought my 300mm for about $150.00. The 28mm f 2.8 is also a nice lens for little money.