Glass holders--without the holders?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Krug995, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Krug995

Krug995 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've recently set up a basic black and white darkroom, with a Beseler 23c. I'd like to try enlarging with glass holders, but can't afford the $200 the holders seem to cost on ebay.

I was wondering--would it be possible to just sandwich the negatives between glass and have a cardboard mask? It seems like if I got two pieces of glass big enough, it would do the job fine...right?

Does this sound feasible? Or am I overlooking something?

2. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Of course it would work, Finding nice clean glass that's thin shouldn't be too hard I 've made them out of glass out of old picture frames. "I can fix anything, wheres the duct tape!

3. bill@lapetelabs.com

bill@lapetelabs.com Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Krug995,
    I found a supplier for anti-newton glass that could solve your problem! We frequently replace the glass plates in our 8x10 Durst 184's, the size is about 10x10, the top plate is anti-newton coated and the bottom is plain glass also the edges are sanded to remove any sharp edges. They can cut the plates to any size. Contact Focal point industries at fpointinc.com in Deltona Florida 32773 and have them send you a catalog or check out their web site. I hope this will help.

4. Krug995

Krug995 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks--I think I'll check out Focal Point. Looks like I was worrying for no reason.

Though I do have to wonder--why are people paying those absurd prices on ebay and the like for nothing? Anyone have any guesses? Is it just convenience?

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speed and ease of use, and because some people are much better at putting together things like this than others.

Matt

6. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One has to be patient. I think I paid more like $25-30 for mine. :smile:

7. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it can be done but you really should mask everything but the aperture to fit the film frame to avoid flare.

8. Tref Hopkins

Tref Hopkins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the UK I can buy a set of glass for my 504 for £40 or so.

I hardly ever use the plain half, and use the top of the metal mask on the bottom of the carrier, giving a half glass setup that works very nicely.

I've noticed that ebay seems to be the most expensive place to buy secondhand recently. I guess it's because ppl tend to reach for it straight off...